Another Spark issue... need some insight please.

red77

Local time
10:25 AM
So the short of it is this. I get no spark to the plug.(brand new).
but I get consistent spark when I hold the wire near the cylinder studs.(though maybe weak)
I've tried re-seating the plug wire spring clip thing. also tried with a screw on boot. no luck. I'll try and post a pic of the set up.
Thanks

Sorry for the double post. I thought the first one timed out. anyways heres pic

IF THE SPARK VOLTAGE IS WEAK IT CAN SPARK OUTSIDE THE ENGINE
but not inside the engine where the higher pressure demands higher voltage.
clean the contacts where the screws touch the metal of the stator coil.
and change the spark plug

I already did both those things. Could it be that something inside the coil is corroded? Also i was testing the plug against the cylinder, not screwed in.

How do you know it isn't sparking inside the cylinder?
If your fuel mixture is off or you have an air leak (intake, crank, head) you can have a non-fire situation.
Also if your magneto is installed backwards the spark will happen at the bottom of the piston stroke and not at the top.

I don't know that it isn't sparking in the engine persay... I know that it isnt jumping the gap on the plug. I have never had an engine fail to produce spark at the plug but run when plug is screwed in. I suppose i can get a gas tank and try to fire it up. My experience just leads me to believe something is wrong.

Its probly worth mentioning that im testing the spark by turning the enginr over via drill. Idk if my last attemp to reply will go thru so ill reiterate. I don't know for sure that it isnt sparking INSIDE the engine i just know there is no spark making the plug gap. Perhaps the drill just isnt high enough rpms to gap the plug. I guess ill just figure out what im gunna use for a gas tank and try and run it.

Back