Are We Outlaws ??

I dunno - for some reason a motorized bicycle is not viewed as dorkish, yet a moped is. Both are capable of the same speeds, and both have pedals. The difference is that one is not regulated (much), and the other was over-regulated to the point of near extinction (here in the US). Could it be that the moped is viewed as the "bottom of the barrel" when it comes to motorized transportation, and a motorized bicycle is viewed as "kewl" because of a teeny tiny bit of "outlaw" perception? I certainly don't feel like an outlaw, but perception is reality. Ask anyone who drives a Harley!

Last year, I bought a small street legal motorcycle (similar to the attached image), it is about the size of a small scooter but it will do 55-60 mph and keep up with local traffic just fine. I was at a street corner waiting for a light and some guy shouts out "nice bike dork!" - I turn around, lift my face shield and shout back, "that's pretty phawking funny coming from the loser waiting for the bus!" (even the other bus losers were laughing out loud) The light turned green, and I take off.

But I have never been ridiculed on the motorized bike. Quite the opposite actually. (sell them all the time just by riding them) Go figure.

Not for nothin, AG, you need to get off of that squeaky wallet and buy a camera!

If someone who was considered "cool" in a pop culture sense and was really excited about motorized bikes and you saw one on something like "Cribs" then people would probably go along with thinking they were cool at least until it stopped being so.

In some ways it could be like the "hula hoop":

RetroHula-Hoop.jpg

...which was once really cool (and can still be now) but it sort of peaked and then declined.

The Moped Army sort of brings back the moped... but motorized bikes are new so it's still creating a sense of mystery to people seeing it for the first time.

The motorized bikes are so new that people don't know whether to laugh at them or admire them. If people start to laugh then there needs to be a "fall back plan" which is that you (the rider) realizes not to take insults too seriously. At root the desire to prove how "macho" their motorized bike is can be traced back to humiliations from others. The logic goes:

"That guy laughed at my motorized bike and that hurts my feelings. I will react to the pain by compensating and being a tough guy."

...this sort of creates the urge for more power and respect. (and revenge)

You short circuit the humiliation / escalation process if you just laugh along with people laughing at you. Just take life less seriously and you can avoid the pain. (laughter is the best medicine)

Last edited:
Not for nothin, AG, you need to get off of that squeaky wallet and buy a camera!

I've got a digicam - whaddya want to see?

I thought a picture of a MB, my Trail Cub, and the Ninja all in a row would be a nice pic. I could sit on the Trail Cub so you could see how ridiculous or not ridiculous an adult riding on a bike with scooter sized tires looks for real.

As far as being made fun of and "macho" is concerned, I'm confident enough in my "manhood" that I don't need 1200cc/120dB vibrator to prove anything to anyone. As far as I'm concerned, riding a 50cc MB or 110cc Trail Cub is the most fun you can have with your clothes on.

Arceeguy...is that trail cub you have the Chinese clone of the old Honda model?? I saw one of those last week..pretty nice..would have room in my cramped garage for one of them

Arceeguy...is that trail cub you have the Chinese clone of the old Honda model?? I saw one of those last week..pretty nice..would have room in my cramped garage for one of them

Yep - it is made by Lifan in China. (model is LF110-GY3) It has electric start, a 4 speed manual trans, and when re-geared will go 55 on a flat road. IIRC I have 17/34 gearing, which is considerably higher (lower numerically) than stock, where it could climb a tree in 1st if needed. It'll still outrun a 4 cylinder Camry from traffic light to traffic light downtown. (not that it is any great accomplishment, but just reference.........)

I have logged over 1200 miles over the past year, at about 100 mpg. The beauty is that you ride with traffic, and not on the shoulder. I love my motorized bicycle for short trips (less than 6 miles), but the little trail cub is what I take for the 20+ mile jaunts. Now that I have the Kawasaki Ninja, I can take it to the highways. I have a bike for every occasion - how great is that!

I've got a digicam - whaddya want to see?

I thought a picture of a MB, my Trail Cub, and the Ninja all in a row would be a nice pic. I could sit on the Trail Cub so you could see how ridiculous or not ridiculous an adult riding on a bike with scooter sized tires looks for real.

As far as being made fun of and "macho" is concerned, I'm confident enough in my "manhood" that I don't need 1200cc/120dB vibrator to prove anything to anyone. As far as I'm concerned, riding a 50cc MB or 110cc Trail Cub is the most fun you can have with your clothes on.

I wasn't tryin to infer anything. Just your always posting pics of other peoples gear and sayin, here, it's like this one...

If ya got a camera, no need to prove it, you'll be the only Republican who's word I take for it...:giggle:

It was the "squeaky wallet" part, wasn't it?

I wasn't tryin to infer anything. Just your always posting pics of other peoples gear and sayin, here, it's like this one...

If ya got a camera, no need to prove it, you'll be the only Republican who's word I take for it...:giggle:

It was the "squeaky wallet" part, wasn't it?

I didn't realize that I was always posting pics of other peoples stuff and saying that I have one like it. I posted the picture of the Trail Cub because many people may not have seen one, so I snagged a picture of one from the net as an example. It's not like I was saying I had a Ferrari or a 70mph Happy Time!

I fully admit that I am frugal, I am not a cheapskate. Why would you think I don't have a camera? Is this what you union guys think of conservatives? :giggle:

Machiasmort, had to laugh at your crack about the squeeky wallet. Years ago a friend of mine used to say when I walked into his antique shop"I heard you coming"
I walked up?
Ya I know. squeeka sqweeka sqweeka.
Of course this set all the dealers laughing that were hanging out and I did have to admit it was true. Any body who could sell anything to that cheap SOB like I was selling to him had to be a tight wad to buy it cheap enough, because that lad was our leader.
Thank you, I hadn't thought of him in years.

Steve

Just for you Marty - here are pictures of my 2007 Lifan 110cc Trail Cub, and 2005 Kawasaki Ninja that I got last week with less than 500 miles. My ozone depleting, CO2 producing, gas guzzling SUV can be seen in the background.

The other picture is one of me on the little Trail Cub. (yep, that's the gun toting redneck conservative known as arceeguy!) In moped army tradition, I am trying to look as badazz as possible, even though I am in on the joke driving the pea shooter. In that picture, you can see my old POS '94 minivan that has over 200K miles on it, should I take a picture of that odometer too?

:)

Attachments

• mybikes.jpg
    mybikes.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 167
  • ninja_odometer.jpg
    ninja_odometer.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 193
  • badazz_cub.jpg
    badazz_cub.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 168
Last edited:
Arcee, that is a nice group of vehicles. That ninja does look like it came of the show room floor.

The only part that would worry me is some shady looking character is making off with one already and in broad daylight too.

Steve.

Back