Australia: Changes to MB rules

Forgive me for bumping such an old thread, but it made more sense than creating a new one. I'm in Victoria and have a 2 stroke 49cc bike which is rated at 200w and is sold by a company in Queensland with a certificate stating it's legality.

The Vic Roads law on power assisted bikes states that:

Definition of a power assisted bicycle
A power assisted bicycle is identical to a pedal powered bicycle, except it has an auxiliary motor. Power assisted bicycles have two definitions in Victoria:

A pedal cycle with one or more auxiliary propulsion motors attached which has a combined maximum power output not exceeding 200 watts.
A bicycle certified as a Pedalec (compliant with European Committee for Standardization EN 15194:2009 or EN 15194:2009+A1:2011 Cycles - Electrically power assisted cycles - EPAC Bicycles). This bicycle features an auxiliary power producing no more than 250 watts and specifies this as a continuous rating. It also restricts the top power assisted speed to 25 kilometres per hour and requires the rider to pedal to access the power.
A motorised bicycle is not classed as a bicycle if:

the motor is the primary source of power
the motor's power output exceeds 200 watts (whether or not the motor is operating).
These are considered to be motorcycles. The rider will be required to hold a motorcycle licence and have the vehicle registered before it can be used on the road network. Motorcycles cannot be ridden on footpaths or bicycle paths. Motorcycle riders must wear an approved motorcycle helmet.

https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/safety-and-road-rules/cyclist-safety/power-assisted-bicycles

To which the supplier of my 200w engine says:

Our 200 Watt petrol engines, based on our standard 48cc engine, have improved low range torque and so, are very similar to a standard 48cc engine. Power delivery does, however, stop once the motorised bike has reached around 25kph and will not run faster than 30kph on a level road.

Our 200 watt petrol engine has been tested and passed by government approved testing facilities and each motor kit comes with a certificate of approval from our engineering company which identifies the engine and confirms that it has been tested to produce just under 200 watts of power.

Our 200 watt engines are incredibly fuel efficient. You can expect to travel over 100 Klm per litre of fuel.

However, the supplier of the Sachs based 30cc engine (Irish John might know about this), makes the following claim.

**This is the ONLY road legal type of petrol bicycle/motor available in Australia.Don't be fooled by other sellers offering "detuned" 49cc Chinese motor kits.In Victoria a motorised bicycle engine must have an UNGOVERNED power output of 200 watts or less.Auxillary motors (petrol or electric) cannot be the PRIMARY source of propulsion (which is the case with ALL centremount bicycle engines and vespa style electric scooters with footboards)In essence if you cannot ride the bike for a reasonable distance by pedalling only, it is most likely non compliant.There are hefty fines applicable if you ride a non compliant bike or scooter on public roads.Most importantly, you will not be covered by optional 3rd party and personal injury insurance on a non compliant petrol powered bicycle should you have an accident on what is essentially an unregistered motorbike.Beware! Get the facts before you spend your hard earned money.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Motorise...Sachs-Style-/111755145546?hash=item1a0520314a

The conclusion of which is all very confusing. I think that lawyers could argue over the definition of "governed" for years. If the Chinese engine has a restricted carburetor and exhaust and the only way to increase it's power is to change them, thus modifying the engine from the manufacturer's spec, then is that really "governed"? If you change the circuitry in a 200w electric motor you can increase it's power also, so are they governed as well? If I can modify a rotary 30cc engine to produce more power then was it governed as well?

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
'Governed' isn't an issue, it's not mentioned anywhere in Victoria's definition of a power-assisted bicycle. It's only mentioned in the Sachs engine seller's claim.

'Governed' isn't an issue, it's not mentioned anywhere in Victoria's definition of a power-assisted bicycle. It's only mentioned in the Sachs engine seller's claim.

Thanks Steve, the seller also cites a Vic Government Gazette entry from 2010 which does use the term, and has a copy of it on his listings. I couldn't see the word 'governed' mentioned in the current Vicroads definition so I thought he might be using sales jargon.

Thanks again.

South Australia

Howdy, long time since, but...

About to start riding quietly, not to get noticed type ride.
Anyone still riding with no cop issues, or we just got to ride smart still ?

Thanks

Back