How to actually go faster.

The bike is alot shorter than it looks. The bars sit a few inches below my shoulders. Just look how far the come up on the truck. They only go to about the hight of the truck bed

The important thing to remember is just because something can make a bicycle faster doesn't always mean it's a good thing for a motorized bicycle.

A bicycle isn't having to deal with high engine torque and engine vibrations like a MB is. Thankfully most of us here aren't speed demons, many use their engine/motor more as an assist system.

The important thing to remember is just because something can make a bicycle faster doesn't always mean it's a good thing for a motorized bicycle.

A bicycle isn't having to deal with high engine torque and engine vibrations like a MB is. Thankfully most of us here aren't speed demons, many use their engine/motor more as an assist system.
Yeah but I've noticed the difference in effort riding a bike that's very upright versus my "gravel bike" (drop bar converted cross country mtb.) At the same speeds, same gearing, that its less effort when you don't fight the air. On a three pony engine this wont matter but if a daredevil really wants to go faster, an aero riding position would be a very cheap and easy mod.

Some people say drop bars hurt their backs, which I don't doubt but getting your bike set up for your body is the best upgrade you could make. Its all vibes based. You could hand an upright cruiser feel like a torture device and a road race bike feel pretty nice, its all about fine tuning the fit.

Reminds me of stupid wheel size discussions. Big box stores have taught laypeople that wheel size = bike size and that's not true. It all dependa on the rider and the frame geometry. An NBA super star could have a custom bike with 12inch wheels fit perfectly, and a 4'8" granny could have a custom bike with 36" wheels fit perfectly.

Yeah but I've noticed the difference in effort riding a bike that's very upright versus my "gravel bike" (drop bar converted cross country mtb.) At the same speeds, same gearing, that its less effort when you don't fight the air. On a three pony engine this wont matter but if a daredevil really wants to go faster, an aero riding position would be a very cheap and easy mod.

Some people say drop bars hurt their backs, which I don't doubt but getting your bike set up for your body is the best upgrade you could make. Its all vibes based. You could hand an upright cruiser feel like a torture device and a road race bike feel pretty nice, its all about fine tuning the fit.

Reminds me of stupid wheel size discussions. Big box stores have taught laypeople that wheel size = bike size and that's not true. It all dependa on the rider and the frame geometry. An NBA super star could have a custom bike with 12inch wheels fit perfectly, and a 4'8" granny could have a custom bike with 36" wheels fit perfectly.

The frame size calculator is one that will tell you the best frame geometry for your particular body build. In other words, if you could have a custom frame built, this will tell you the measurements of the tubes/angles. Therefore for most of us, one should try to find a manufactured frame that's as close as possible to their ideal custom built frame; since most can't afford or can't build a custom frame. More so than speed a proper fitting/adjusted frame will give you comfort. Meaning you'll be able to ride longer pain free.

For 7 years I was on a pedal only cycling forum. It was there I developed sequential non-redundant shifting systems and color coded shifters. My preference is 1 handed shifting for both shifters because one can see exactly the position their shifters are in by looking at one spot. With my system you can use gear selection as the primary and a vary cadence of 70-90 to control heart rate. So that means you need a bicycle computer with a heart rate monitor and cadence meter.

Yes aerodynamics plays a role. Riding with your chest on the handle bars will increase your speed. However, you can't ride that way for long stretches. Planking will make you go even faster on straight down hill runs. Which is banned in cycling events. When it comes to motorized bicycles unless you put on a padded vest, laying across a gas tank mounted to the top tube isn't going to be very comfortable. Real-estate is a valuable thing on motorized bicycle handlebars. Many of us have operating equipment on them. So drop handlebars aren't very practical. Many of us here prefer the safety operating equipment provides over any small speed gains from tucking.

I'm 6'2" and my Sidewinder bicycle was designed for someone 5'10" at the most. Therefore, I raised the height of my handlebars by 7". This now puts me riding in an upright position. Amongst department store bicycles options are limited. A person has to take what they have to work with and adapt it to work for them.

Back