How to actually go faster.

cloakedvillain

Local time
6:08 AM
Aerodynamic drag is the biggest obstacle to speed. To make a fast motorized bicycle we need to look at the fastest motorcycles and bicycles: sport bikes and road bikes. Part of the speed is power, my heart goes out to roadies and high revving multi-cylinder engines but these alone can only go so far. If we could somehow cut aerodynamic losses we can get more out of the power on tap.

The easiest way to do this is to change out the handle bars and stem so you can drop down and get narrow. If you good with crafts you could build a fairing but It may do more harm than good, only models and prototypes could tell. Skinnier tires have less aero drag but its marginal compared to the gains from dropping down with narrow bars.

Taller gearing doesn't necessarily mean faster. A small sprocket may calculate out to a high speed but it doesn't matter if you cant get moving.

Thinner tires also gives you less rolling resistance. Good bearings would help too. And less chain length to have less drive train loss

Thinner tires also gives you less rolling resistance. Good bearings would help too. And less chain length to have less drive train loss
Semi slicks will do better but rolling resistance between a 35mm tire and a 55mm tire is very small. Its about the tread and casing not the width.

The easiest way to do this is to change out the handle bars and stem so you can drop down and get narrow.
Don't forget shedding weight. If you go from a 90lb build to a 50lb build your power will go further.
Well that lets us fat old farts out then, how do ya narrow a Goodyear Blimp...lol...lol.

Well that lets us fat old farts out then, how do ya narrow a Goodyear Blimp...lol...lol.
Well, fat old men have had the stupid beat out em. If not I don't think they could get to be old. I find drop bars comfortable on my regular bike but I had to really dial in the stem length, bar width, brake positioning, basically every little detail tuned for my sore shoulders and worn out hands.

Well, fat old men have had the stupid beat out em. If not I don't think they could get to be old. I find drop bars comfortable on my regular bike but I had to really dial in the stem length, bar width, brake positioning, basically every little detail tuned for my sore shoulders and worn out hands.
I like my bars...Solid comfort being able to sit upright...lol.

DSCN0228.JPG

Back