automatic 2 gear jackshaft

someone else did an auto 2-spd jackshaft too. there was a freewheel with it I think but it was working

Wait, am I getting it wrong or you thing that it may work?
Most people who start threads like this are essentially, what I call, "passively trolling". They start the thread but fail to do the research and never really go through with it. But you do get the heavy posters like Frankenstein who have to post on every thread (a lot) no matter if they can add or not and the thread gets muddied up.

However, putting money and time into it and actually building it, you have proven that you're serious. So yes I will help and I want to see it run.

Most people who start threads like this are essentially, what I call, "passively trolling". They start the thread but fail to do the research and never really go through with it. But you do get the heavy posters like Frankenstein who have to post on every thread (a lot) no matter if they can add or not and the thread gets muddied up.

However, putting money and time into it and actually building it, you have proven that you're serious. So yes I will help and I want to see it run.
I know what you mean, thanks for your help!

its a shame there seems no CVT scaled for little bike motors. The TAV and clone probably have too much mass and frictional losses. I've not yet made a motorized bike but 50+ years ago had a used Motebecane moped and it had a simplified variable ratio transmission with only one variable diameter pulley and that pulley was the motor pulley. Since belt circumference is fixed, the motor was hung and allowed to pivot back towards the driven pulley. Its illustrated in this Youtube video. IMO it would not be "that difficult" for some Chinese factory to make something similar

but China won't do it bcs they want to sell 10,000+ units of anything for their profit margin. something like this is wholly in the realm of DIYers. one offs,,

Quite true with that figure. Could one adapt the variator system from a Tao scooter? It looks like a monumental task. The NOS two speed jackshaft kits which used to appear at Ebay seem long gone. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Variator-D...082131?hash=item23ba74f3d3:g:7CcAAOSwZtBbQ~nm

in my case, 79cc + CVT would be easy but 49cc is top legal for my state and there's nothing but hills

oh - it looks like the clutch is on the driven pulley rather than drive

Last edited:
Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Guys, not many updates, since my personal/work life doesn't give so much free time to invest on this project, but I finished installing both chains, everything looks nice and ready to do a road test (I hope in less than 2 weeks), and meanwhile I'm ungoverning the motor to be able to get some more RPMs out of it:

Thanks you all for your help!

Well, today was the day! I pull the bike out of the basement and I fired it up! Long story short: IT WORKS!!! IT F*****G WORKS!!! When I have time I'll give you guys more details, but when the bike reaches 10mph you can notice the second clutch starting to engage :)

Back