Average Miles per Gallon (MPG)

Thank you, Alaskavan.

I will need that low end power because of all the in-city riding I'll be doing. I'll be doing a lot of "floor it!" starts.

I'm getting 120 mpg on my staton friction drive, with the Mitsubishi 43cc 2-stroke. And, that pulling an ex defensive tackle, who's over 320 pounds...

I ride mine WOT pretty much all the time and the millage is not that impressive. I'd hazard a guess and say around 50 mpg. On the streets I ride you can't get away with going 10 mph... the cagers will get ya at those speeds.

At 269 pounds, I am one of the heaviest rider on the site. And at that weight, I seriously doubt that I will be getting 120 MPG. So now I'm curious as to how many gallons I'll actually be getting when I finally get my motor installed.

It will be an interesting experiment.

I weigh 275, and I am pretty sure i am getting at least 100 mpg

I have tried to find an exact answer but I haven't seemed to have found it - What benefits do a 50 tooth sprocket have over the standard 44 tooth sprocket? Does it offer more pulling power? Does it help the engine not work as hard as it might with a 44 tooth? I am buying an engine in a few days and the engine I chose comes with a 50 tooth sprocket.

I tried the 50T. My top speed with 26" wheels was 23 mph. At that speed it sounded like the engine wanted to blow. I like the 44T much better. I like to cruise at about 20 mph though

Last edited by a moderator:
engine efficiency ?

so the average mpg is about 118 mpg. which is 31 miles per litre or 2.9 miles per KWH. i get about 30 miles per KWH on my 1.5KW electric bike if i pace myself, or about 20 if i dont and my X503 is about 75% efficient. does this mean that the petrol bikes are 10.9% efficient = 2.9*0.75/20*100 ??

is this a fair way to work out the engine efficiency?

Monster, there are some variables here, the main one being how much pedaling is going on. On my trike, I get 125 mpg (a recent gearing change should improve that) if I don't pedal at all. If I do pedal, I could stretch that out.
Regarding the fairness of your method of analysing efficiency: I would think that for a true efficiency estimate for an electric vehicle, one would need to factor in the efficiency of the generation of the electricity.

miles per gallon

My ride:
Montague hummer with a Staton rack mount 33cc Robin subaru.
Me 196 pounds (solid muscle of course)
225 miles per gallon (imperial)
180 miles per gallon (US)

I run about 26 miles an hour and pedal assist when I can, so I can really be solid muscle. ;-)

Darcy

It costs me 18 cents to ride to work, and that is at Canadian fuel prices.

alaskavan -your dead right there and sorry if i didn't also mention the power station losses which are high.

average power station is about 40% efficient which makes the the electric option almost the same for emissions as the petrol engine. and the main cost for electric is in replacing the batteries every 1000 cycles or so.

Back