Average Miles per Gallon (MPG)

GEBE on a sun recumbent

I get up to 180 MPG. Depends on the hills and where I ride and how much I want to pedal.
I have a recumbent Sun Speedster CX with a windscreen and I can hit 40 MPH. I am running the Tanaka 32 cc engine with the HP carb and filter.

I have been getting only about 80 mpg on my 70cc center mount - I bought the kit on the internet. I don't "putt" on it, but I don't wind it out completely either - have a 16 mile commute with some hills.

Kind of wondering why it isn't better. My next engine I think is coming from DAX. I get a little seepage around the carb, have tightened the screws, also a little seepage from the engine seals although head bolts are tightened OK.

Runs pretty smooth, since I put the permatek gasket on the input. I am about 205 lbs, with the hills maybe that is the reason...

cb

cb

I was getting 90mpg when it was new (66cc), now I'm getting around 75mpg. Why has it declined?

possibly loss of compression? I was getting better milage myself while breaking in the engine. I also used non synthetic to break in so the engine would wear in a little faster. I think because of the oil burning with the gas it raised my milage. I get 70 mpg now without the shift kit doing a steady 20 mph up and down the hills of NY.

of course you will get better milage in lower rpm as it will utilize the fuel in the compression chamber better before it is expelled.

wow! I have 800 miles so far. I hope to get as many as you and then some. this is my first build. and I have ordered the shift kit and a 29" bike. I am hoping to get oer 100 mpg along with a top speed of 60 mph.

wow! I have 800 miles so far. I hope to get as many as you and then some. this is my first build. and I have ordered the shift kit and a 29" bike. I am hoping to get oer 100 mpg along with a top speed of 60 mph.

The shift kit should increase your mpg. 60mph huh? That's quite ambitious of you. If I want to go over 40 I'd rather do it on a motorcycle. I don't trust anything on my bicycle over 30mph. There are some veteran mbers on here that are capable of building monsters that go that fast.

79cc or 212, both get 120 mpg, both have 3 speed jackshaft hubs, weird huh?
One engine is buzzing some while the other is loafing. Riding speed mid 20s.

Back