Bike frame as a fuel tank, has anyone tried this?

There is an epoxy that is used to resurface the insides of rusted motorcycle gas tanks that should be able to seal that tank on the MP or any of those style FELT bikes.

I would take the seat post off and the front forks and tape over any holes there then set the fuel line tap and epoxy it all up.
It looks like the fuel tank tube runs past the seat post tube.

May have to start by getting a useable gas cap then taking a look around inside with a borescope for other holes.

Is there a useable gas cap for that tank or ?

Does the FELT VI 400 have a useable gas cap ?

I'd love to see one of those bikes in person.

Once the tank is useable you could just fill it up and drain it carefully and measure it to get the exact capacity.

I used that epoxy stuff on the tank I made for Brutus, it's called Kreem.

I have seen most of the Felt bikes in person and let me tell you, they are works of art. I can't believe they sell them as cheap as they do. Absolutley beautiful bikes!!!

Dan

dont know if u saw it already, but ocscully posted this w/ a link to something like the MP bike w/the frame as tank and motor on.
Happy :mrgreen:

Wow! The 1903 is really cool.

Hi all,

I've been gone for awhile, working on the fire in Lake Tahoe so I was surprised today by the amount of activity about the Felt bikes.

Ocscully, is the owner of the Felt 1903 a member of this forum? It is really great to see one done. I've questions, how did he fasten the filler? What kind of motor is it? It looks very clean. The hub brakes that were used also, anybody know what they are and where to get them?

I wanted to motorize the 1903 bike originally, but the fact that the frame was aluminum which I felt was harder to work with, directed me to the MP bike which according to the Felt Website is a "Hydroform Steel Tank Frame."

I really like simplicity of these bikes I think of them of a very basic motorcycle, with 2 kick starters. javascript:emoticon(':)')
Smile

I have not got very far on the MP bike so far, I should have started this project at the end of the fire season. I am calling Felt today to see if I can locate one.

Pedal to ride,

Keith

:)

1903 Owner?

ItsKeith,
To the best of my knowledge the owner is not a member of this forum. I photographed the bike at the Motorcycle & Bike swap meet @ the Veterans stadium in Long Beach Memorial Day weekend. I didn't even get the guys name, although he did mention he lived in Huntington Beach. I maybe able to track him down thru a local bike shop if need be. I'd be interested to know what you find out about any Felt models being built with steel as it was my impression that all of these bikes were Alu.

Scully

Hi Scully,

I got the skinny on the MP bike being steel from the Felt website

http://www.feltracing.com/products/product.asp?catid=18,24,38&pid=62

One issue I am trying to find out about is wither or not the frame is powder coated or painted. I ask Felt via email and so far, no reply. I am trying to get an understanding if welds can be made near powder coat without damaging it.

Thanks for the info and the great photos of the 1903 bike.

Keith

If I was doing it I would silver solder the fittings in.
I think you can do this but not without damaging the paint or powdercoating.
Maybe Felt would sell you a bare frame, then you can powdercoat it after you are done with the tank mod.

That is a good idea to make a small hole where the petcock will be for a pressure test. 10 psi should be enough.

Another good suggestion made was to look into the seat and steering tube to see if there are weep holes.

If you need a sealer use Kreem.
There are problems with fiberglass tanks and the new gas with alcohol-ethanol. It breaks down the resins clogging carbs and getting into the engine causing problems. This has been discussed on many motorcycle web sites. One fiberglass tank builder I spoke with (First Klass Glass) said he has started making gas tanks out of ABS to combat the problem.
Fiberglass tanks are still ok if you only use alcohol free racing fuel.

Felt does have a Frameset that they sell unfinished. They call it the Canvas Frameset.
http://www.feltracing.com/store/images/large/cruiser_frame.jpg
This particular offering is listed as the Alu. version of their tank frameset. I just spent some time on the felt website and it seems that they have 6 models of cruiser available in the Alu.Frameset and 10 models available in the Steel Frameset. It would seem to me that it may be very possible to get them to sell you an unfinished frameset in either material, although they only show the Alu. version on their web site. As far as what the finish is on their complete bikes I'd guess paint rather than powder coat, but that is just a guess on my part. You asked previously about the hub brake on the 1903 I photographed and I believe that it is a Sturmy-Archer Hub, they are fairly common and should be availabe from any local bike shop.
Pullins Bike Shop in your area would probably be a good place to start looking.

Back