BT80 Electric Start Doesn't

fzeroguy

Local time
12:49 AM
I have a BT 80 electric start that runs fine from the pull start, but from the get-go it just goes 'click' when I press the starter button. The green wire is bolted under the engine to bare metal, and so I have individually replaced the solenoid, starter and throttle/ignition switch. Still goes 'click' after each fix. I have a fresh Lipo. Any idea what is wrong, something I did?
'

I have a BT 80 electric start that runs fine from the pull start, but from the get-go it just goes 'click' when I press the starter button. The green wire is bolted under the engine to bare metal, and so I have individually replaced the solenoid, starter and throttle/ignition switch. Still goes 'click' after each fix. I have a fresh Lipo. Any idea what is wrong, something I did?
'
Do you have a picture of your electrical parts? I thought there was supposed to be a rectifier in there too.

So I tried a 330cca lawn mower battery and it woke up the starter, but it just spins, goes whirrrrrr. I tried the replacement starter, same thing. It's like the gear isn't engaging its mate in the motor. Now could my lawn mower battery be too much for the application? One step forward one back.

I just opened up the case and found the starter drive sprocket, which engages a small chain, had come off. Did my best to reassemble but for some reason there is too much resistance from the gear and chain, so the starter can't move it. It is very difficult to reassemble correctly because of the chain tension. But at least I know what to sleep on and try next. Pull start still works.

OK now I fixed it. There is a starter drive chain and two spockets behind the pull start cover. The chain had come off and jammed, also rattled around and buggered the pull start tangs a little. You have to remove the jam nut, remove the pull start wheel, and then the large sprocket, and reinstall the chain. If you line it up correctly, everything slides back on. But you have to be aware that both the large sprocket and the pull start wheel are keyed, with small tabs on the back of the bearing. If you don't get the tabs lined up, it won't engage the engine. I have two photos. Thank you for your help I hope this helps someone else.

Attachments

• BT 80 Starter uninstalled.jpg
    BT 80 Starter uninstalled.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 180
  • BT 80 Starter Installed.jpg
    BT 80 Starter Installed.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 165
Back