Buying parts

Huffycide

Local time
9:28 AM
Hello forum. I recently bought a gas engine kit from bikeberry. I learned that was a mistake when it arrived and half the parts were missing, and the other half was faulty. The clutch broke (that was my fault I put way too much tension in the chain) the magneto and CDI are bad, and ultimately it's just gonna be cheaper to buy the engine by itself. I got absolutly screwed by Bikeberry and would very much like to not waste my money. Where's the best place to buy online? I ned the engine, the CDI, a chain, and I'm probably gonna get an aftermarket kill switch.

I've never seen a broken clutch, how do you know both mag & CDI are bad, which half of the parts are missing? Something seems peculiar with your post.

Clutch doesn't engage and clutch bolt wiggles freely, like it's not attached to anything. Clutch plate won't come off, so I can't see what's in wrong in there, and the chain is stuck in there. Had a mechanic friend test my cdi and magneto, seeing as I neither own a multimeter, nor know how to read one, and he told me both are bad. He hasn't steered me wrong yet so I'm gonna take his word for it.

Yes, the half/half thing is an exaggeration. I am missing a piece for the spring tensioner that holds the spring to the frame, the manifold for the bbr boost bottle, and the carbuerator part of the performance carbuerator. I have stock parts that seem to be fine, so it's really all superficial, but I was really disappointed that when I ordered a kit, I didn't get all the parts I paid for.

I had my first 2 stroke blow up on me in 2 months of daily 45-60 miles of abuse trying to get as fast of a time to work and back as a security guard doing places like high end uppity $1800/ month 2 bedroom apartments....all while homeless!!!!!! I moved on to a 49cc 4 stroke kit from bikeberry and got it almost perfect to have it stolen ($700 in). It lasted 4 months and maybe 4k miles. My new incarnation i started with a junk 49cc 4g grubee kit junker with a £μ©k€D macargi frame with obvious holes in various places from god knows what, and the bottom chainstay grounded down to a mere figment of it's original self (paper thin metal with holes in it's thinnest parts). I'm still homeless, but this is a huffy (frame) I pooped together what was salvagable off the junk 49cc with a $30 huffy cranbrook and a $204 (after shipping) 53cc hs144f-1g. Then that I went nuts and I'm about :eek: $710 into. It has mounts for a front disk brake and i need to get a cable and lever for my rear 90-110mm fender capable caliper brake.
new setup.jpg

Last edited:
Clutch doesn't engage and clutch bolt wiggles freely, like it's not attached to anything. Clutch plate won't come off, so I can't see what's in wrong in there, and the chain is stuck in there. Had a mechanic friend test my cdi and magneto, seeing as I neither own a multimeter, nor know how to read one, and he told me both are bad. He hasn't steered me wrong yet so I'm gonna take his word for it.

Yes, the half/half thing is an exaggeration. I am missing a piece for the spring tensioner that holds the spring to the frame, the manifold for the bbr boost bottle, and the carbuerator part of the performance carbuerator. I have stock parts that seem to be fine, so it's really all superficial, but I was really disappointed that when I ordered a kit, I didn't get all the parts I paid for.

I've been a repair shop for these for many years and had to build a machine to test CDIs because one just cannot tell by testing with a meter - I've seen folks fail in testing mags with a meter also - look on the board where testing is explained for these.

When you say 'clutch plate' I'm thinking that you might mean drive cover where the clutch arm is - one would take that off the free the chain, but while off one might loose the ball bearing in there that makes the clutch work - read here about bucking bar and suchlike as there are hundreds of threads about them.

I should mention there is no such thing as an 80cc, its a chinese lie. It's real displacement is 66cc.
There's also no such thing as a flying horse, it would appear bikeberry sticks flying horse on everything they sell, even the new bullet train motor gets the mark. Only thing is they don't print up stickers to stick on it so I guess branding image doesn't mean that much to them. But I guess you wouldn't want your brand on an engine if it happens to be complete crap and broken upon arrival, so props for not making themselves look that bad.

Sorry to hear about your housing predicament and the loss of your bike. Maybe invest in a GPS locator for the bike you have now to try to stave off the underground of California...

Last edited:
Back