California Call To Arms For A Fastbike Law.

Unfortunately this proposal makes it worse. The state already classifies the ebikes as a class 406b at 1kw so this takes that away. A class 406b can already use a bike path at 1kw. This assemblyman is a ****.

Yup, The 80lb thing is what worries me, I'm taking delivery on a new Motoped next month and plan to install their optional e-kit. Don't think I'll be able to run 72v and keep it under the weight limit.

Well the problem here is this is not giving anything to ebikes, it actually outlaws them if they are bigger than a motor size. What they should do is post a maximum speed limit on all state bike paths and let everyone ride up to that speed, pedal, gas, electric, throttle and get the pedestrians off the bike paths altogether. I mean lately at the park you have Mr. Johnson changing his kids diapers and where? In the middle of the bicycle path. Or Elena Garcia with 5 kids. Thw two year has a pitbull on a leash in each hand going opposite ways, taking out the bike path. The 4 year old is busy chasing her 6 year old Rotweiller and Joe has parked his Minivan on the Bike Path so he can deliver picnic supplies. Throw in the 10km run with hundreds clogging the bike path as a public running path, the many couples holding hands that take up two thirds and that is the real issue. Electric bikes on bike paths at 20 mph, pedalers average between 15 thru 28 mph. The problem is there is no posted speed limit and pedestrians. This law doesn't take anything else into account and actually subtracts more freedom and reason not to own an EBike.

You can take all the issues you want and in a small way you are correct, but overall it is quite small compared to gassers. Now I don't begrudge the GBike crowd at all, in fact I applaud all cyclists as we all have something we like in common whether on gas, electric or human power. But currently yes ebikes are at a disadvantage and what this assemblyman has just done is make them at an even greater disadvantage.

ahem. i argue the point that suggests a camel is designed by a government consortium!

one. camels work very efficiently for the given task.
two. camels are freely available, if you can catch one.
3. theyre politically incorrect, with pierced noses and a bad habit of spitting.

i shall only agree if "horse" becomes "venus de milo" and "camel" is altered to read "broken house brick" :)

Called Sacramento talked to the ASSemblyman's office at length yesterday. Emailed them my original ebike proposal and explained what to fix, how and how it could benefit all cyclists by just posting a maximum cycling speed on bike paths at 26 to 28mph. Also moving pedestrians off of the bicycle paths. The pedestrians are a serious problem for any cyclist whether gbike, ebike or pedal bike. They had not fully put this through from what he told me so hopefully they will take a second look at it. Honestly with 8,000 miles of ebike on a bike path riding I have had almost no issues, never even a potential accident. It is common sense and safety. Hopefully they will fix what really needs to get fixed the right way instead of making a restrictive law to stiff people over.

This is what happens when you get politicians involved with changing a law that was perfect for the 99.99% of motorized bicycle riders. Now they are going to require insurance coverage. The original law never required insurance. Boy, can't wait to see what other changes lobbyists are going to demand. Hopefully, they don't mess with the gas powered section of the law.

High speed e-bikes ain't going to happen because the bikes will be required to be DOT approved - just buy an electric scooter/motorcycle.

(5) Every manufacturer of low-speed electric bicycles, as defined in this subdivision, shall provide a disclosure to buyers that advises buyers that their existing insurance policies may not provide coverage for these bicycles and that they should contact their insurance company or insurance agent to determine if coverage is provided.
(c) The disclosure required under paragraph (5) of subdivision (b) shall meet both of the following requirements:
(1) The disclosure shall be printed in not less than 14-point boldface type on a single sheet of paper that contains no information other than the disclosure.
(2) The disclosure shall include the following language in capital letters:

“YOUR INSURANCE POLICIES MAY NOT PROVIDE COVERAGE FOR ACCIDENTS INVOLVING THE USE OF THIS BICYCLE. TO DETERMINE IF COVERAGE IS PROVIDED YOU SHOULD CONTACT YOUR INSURANCE COMPANY OR AGENT.

Chris
AKA: BigBlue

Back