California Motorized Bicycle Laws

California Motorized Bicycle Law

i built my own bicycle with a 4 stroke 49cc motor on it. as i was afraid i wasnt complying with the california laws when riding it, i stopped, with my motorized bicycle, and talked with police officers on 2 different occasions. i showed them my motorized bicycle and asked them if there was anything i needed to be able to operate it on the streets legally. both times the officers told me no. i didnt need any type of registration or license. in addition to those times i have passed police that are in thier cars many times and wave to them as i go past them. i have never been stopped or pulled over by one. they just smile as i go by. i have been riding my motorized bicycle for quite a while now. i have logged over 1,000 miles on it riding it on the street. since i live in orange county, when i ride, there are times when i hit some pretty heavy congestion. i also have to change lanes in order to stay out of the lanes entering and exiting the freeway. i use my hand to signal the other drivers who have always been curteous of me and treat me like another vehicle on the street. i enjoy riding it so much that i ride it to and from work which takes me into the wee hours of the morning. i have also passed police at 3am in the morning and have not had a single problem with them. as i go through 4 different cities on my way home and have encountered police in all those cities i can safely say that i am not required to do anything other than ride my motorized bicycle. so i dont know why people are saying motorized bicycles need to have a special plate and or license. i have attached a picture of my motorized bicycle so you can see what i have been talking about.
You will find that some cities in CA are very lax and others are more strict.

You will find that some cities in CA are very lax and others are more strict.
That was why I stopped a couple different police officers. like I said in my first post, i've interacted with 4 different cities and haven't had a single problem. its hard to believe that every city i've interacted with the police they are all lax. you'd think that at least one of the several would have a reason to stop me...especially the way I look...lol.

I've never been one to spread misinformation or take what somebody says as gospel. I've always gone and done my due diligence and researched the facts on something that way when I say something on a subject I know what it is im saying. As for this, all I can relay is what i've done and experienced as well as relate what i've been told by those in charge of enforcing the laws.

But now just to make absolutely sure, i'm going to contact the Department of Motor Vehicles and speak to someone there regarding what the specific laws are and find out from them. That way I know for myself what is considered the laws i'm supposed to be abiding by. This is just for my peace of mind.

Over the years i've had my share of negative interactions with law enforcement and have never been one to shy away from expressing my views or standing my ground when it comes to my rights. as a matter of fact I wanted to register my bicycle with the local police department and they told me that they no longer issue them. now that blew my mind. I have always made sure to register for a license.

So I would like to know what they are so if ever a time happens where I need to know what i'm doing is wrong or right its best to know if i'm doing something wrong, by accident or on purpose. After all, my mom raised ugly boys not stupid ones...lol

But when I do find out what the person tells me at the DMV, I will make sure to post what i'm told here for those who want to know. if you noticed in my posting that I didnt try to interpret the laws as I read them, I went straight to law enforcement to find out how they interpret them, since they are the ones that are going to tell me if i'm doing something wrong. I've always found it beneficial to find out where they stand.

As i've always found, 10 people can read something and you are going to get 10 different versions of what they read because people will always interpret things thier own way. When it comes to law enforcement, they can interpret laws the way they want, but when it comes down to it, how they interpret them doesnt really matter. they can argue their point all they want, but when it comes down to it its law enforcements interpretation that is the only one that matters.

And when it comes to them saying someone has violated a law a person can stand there and argue their point all they want with them and usually the only thing you accomplish is pissing the cop off.

T'is True that most California cops won't give a rats behind about your motorised bicycle being on the road with no reg. or license...Until you run into that one, "tin badge god", pain in the butt, rookie cop, that is just iching to show off his knowledge of the California motor vehicles codes to his fellow officers and all others who will actually listen to his "war" stories, while they are smirking behind his back...And then proceeds to impound your bike, write your tickets, and testify in court against you resulting in fines, court fees, and impound fees that you will wind up paying...Just saying...DAMIEN...Retired Commonwealth of Massachusetts Lieutenant Police Constable...lol.

California Motorized Bicycle Definition

In California, a motorized bicycle or moped is a 2 or 3 wheeled device having:
  • fully operative pedals for propulsion by human power,
  • an automatic transmission,
  • a motor that produces less than 4 gross brake horsepower and is capable of propelling the device at a maximum speed of not more than 30mph on level ground. ¹

The license and registration requirements to ride a Motorized Bicycle on the roads in California are as follows:

License
A valid Class M2 license is required to operate a motorized bicycle. ²

(5) (A) Class M2 includes a motorized bicycle or moped, or a bicycle with an attached motor, except an electric bicycle as described in subdivision (a) of Section 312.5.

Registration
A motorized bicycle needs to be registered and is required to display a license plate issued by the department. ³

ARTICLE 8.1. Motorized Bicycles [5030 - 5039]

( Article 8.1 added by Stats. 1980, Ch. 1070, Sec. 1. )

5030. A motorized bicycle, as defined in Section 406, is required to display a special license plate issued by the department.
(Added by Stats. 1980, Ch. 1070, Sec. 1.)

References:
¹ http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displaySection.xhtml?lawCode=VEH&sectionNum=406
² http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displaySection.xhtml?lawCode=VEH&sectionNum=12804.9.
³ http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...vision=3.&title=&part=&chapter=1.&article=8.1.

I built my own bicycle with a 4 stroke 49cc motor on it. as I was afraid I wasn't complying with the California laws when riding it, I stopped with my motorized bicycle, and talked with police officers on 2 different occasions.

I showed them my motorized bicycle and asked them if there was anything I needed to be able to operate it on the streets legally. both times the officers told me no. I didn't need any type of registration or license.

In addition to those times, I have passed police that are in their cars many times and wave to them as I go past them. I have never been stopped or pulled over by one, they just smile as i go by.

I have been riding my motorized bicycle for quite a while now. I have logged over 1,000 miles on it riding it on the street. since I live in Orange County, when I ride, there are times when I hit some pretty heavy congestion. I also have to change lanes in order to stay out of the lanes entering and exiting the freeway. I use my hand to signal the other drivers who have always been courteous of me and treat me like another vehicle on the street.

I enjoy riding it so much that I ride it to and from work which takes me into the wee hours of the morning. I have also passed police at 3am in the morning and have not had a single problem with them.

As I go through 4 different cities on my way home and have encountered police in all those cities, I can safely say that I am not required to do anything other than ride my motorized bicycle. so I dont know why people are saying motorized bicycles need to have a special plate and or license. I have attached a picture of my motorized bicycle so you can see what I have been talking about.
Cops can be cool but CA requires a Moped Plate for your M/B
Fill out Form 230 sections 1, 2, & 5 and send it in with a one time fee of $23
Section 1 leave CA License plate blank. Answer yes to all 4 questions in section 2

Depends how you ride... 🤣
They had this big police celebration on the beach... Some PR thing they were doing... I couldn't help myself and 100 turned to look... The kx85 pipe made the difference... it was best when it had a crack in the manifold..

T'is True that most California cops won't give a rats behind about your motorised bicycle being on the road with no reg. or license...Until you run into that one, "tin badge god", pain in the butt, rookie cop, that is just iching to show off his knowledge of the California motor vehicles codes to his fellow officers and all others who will actually listen to his "war" stories, while they are smirking behind his back...And then proceeds to impound your bike, write your tickets, and testify in court against you resulting in fines, court fees, and impound fees that you will wind up paying...Just saying...DAMIEN...Retired Commonwealth of Massachusetts Police Constable Lieutenant...lol.

California Motorized Bicycle Definition

In California, a motorized bicycle or moped is a 2 or 3 wheeled device having:
  • fully operative pedals for propulsion by human power,
  • an automatic transmission,
  • a motor that produces less than 4 gross brake horsepower and is capable of propelling the device at a maximum speed of not more than 30mph on level ground. ¹

The license and registration requirements to ride a Motorized Bicycle on the roads in California are as follows:

License
A valid Class M2 license is required to operate a motorized bicycle. ²

Registration
A motorized bicycle needs to be registered and is required to display a license plate issued by the department. ³

References:
¹ http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displaySection.xhtml?lawCode=VEH&sectionNum=406
² http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displaySection.xhtml?lawCode=VEH&sectionNum=12804.9.
³ http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...vision=3.&title=&part=&chapter=1.&article=8.1.
i agree with you on that. ive dealt with those types many times thinking that if they were to bust me, based on my looks, they would automatically be promoted to chief of police...lmao

i remember a number of years ago i was riding my motorcycle. now when i hit my brakes the brake light would flash in a row several times before becoming solid red. it came from the factory like that. i got pulled over because of it and was cited because he didnt believe it came from the factory like that.

then there was the time i was driving my 1964 ford falcon station wagon, which i still have, when it was raining out. ive got drum brakes on the front. if youve never driven with front drum brakes, when it rains the drum sometimes get wet which will make the brakes grab unevenly and make your car pull to the side.

well mine did that one morning and the cop behind me pulled me over for it. so her and i went round and round because she thought it happened because i was drinking. mind you i have even thought about drinking for over 35 years...lol

so im trying to explain to her about drum brakes..she was having none of that. of course she was very young and drum brakes are an old technology from before she was born. so here i am passing all the tests shes given me while explaining to her it was my car not me.

after half an hour of this dance, she has another officer pull up to assist her. he asks me what was going on. i explained to him about the brakes. finallyt...this guy was young but had experience working on older cards with his father so he understood what i was talking about. so he went over to talk with the girl who pulled mr over.

i couldnt here what he was saying to her but i could tell she wasnt happy from her louder than normal responses, her turning looking at me with half closed eyes and her pointing gestures. after they "discussed" whatever for a good 10 minutes the guy comes over to me and says im free to go.

so i say to him she doesnt believe you about drum brakes. he laughed and said no. she thought he was telling her what i told him. so i got in my car and left....lmmfao

i can spend the rest of the year documenting the highlites of my experinces with law enforcement over the years. but it was because i didnt need any more footage for the highlite reels that i stopped and talked with law enforcement about my bike. it wasnt as fun as the time i blocked a cop car in and got out to ask how i should transport the rifles in my front seat but then i wasnt really looking for a heated response.

so after riding my bike for must be 11 years now, thinking im copliant with, what i thought was no laws, i come across this site and see people arguing over california vehicle laws and how they were interpreting them. as i stated in my last post im not one to take what im told as gospel so ive been trying to get a hold of the dmv to ask them. so far ive held for longer than i wanted to and havent been able to reach anyone yet. as i said previously. when i do i will make sure to post what i learn from them.

until then, all i ask is that other members dont send me more messages quoting the california vehicle code. i know what they say and i dont need more people interpreting the codes for me. i appreciate the concern for me to be compliant as i am for myself.

i dont mind the messages but the quoting and interpreting california law i can do without.

i have never posted my interpretation so iask that you dont. if you look at the first person who responded to me, he did it right. he sent me a message and it was great.

all i ask is that my post doesnt turn into a spot for heated debate like ive seen others do.

thanks...

Cops can be cool but CA requires a Moped Plate for your M/B
Fill out Form 230 sections 1, 2, & 5 and send it in with a one time fee of $23
Section 1 leave CA License plate blank. Answer yes to all 4 questions in section 2

thanks for the tip. im going to see if i can find the form online and take a look at it. i dont know if i can print a copy or if they require an original copy sent in. ill have to look and see what the form says if i can find it.

Depends how you ride... 🤣
They had this big police celebration on the beach... Some PR thing they were doing... I couldn't help myself and 100 turned to look... The kx85 pipe made the difference... it was best when it had a crack in the manifold..
thats funny. i know that 2 stroke motors are annoying. but mine being a 4 stroke is very quiet. especially considering the exhaust on mine comes out from the manifold about 2 inches and points down...lol
i like pulling up to a gas pump, filling my tank, which is the actual tank on my bike, giving the attendant a dollar and telling them to keep the change....lmao

i can go about 40 miles for under a dollar and still have about a third of the tank. the hardest problem i had with the bike was getting the petcock to seal on the underside of the tank. i ended up geting a brass piece that fit into the hole and the petcock screwed into that. never had a problem since.

the biggest gripe i had was the bike, its a 2006 felt red baron special, they only made the version ive got for 1 year plus when i got it it was a 3 speed that they only made 100 of, was a 3 speed. to putthe motor on it i had to have the rear rim redone so it would handle the freewheel hub and the drive sprocket. in order to put the engine on the bike i had to lose the gearing.

now i didnt mind because of all the things ive ever ridden or driven this bike is by far my favorite thing to ride. but now they have come out with a transmission that allows you to shift gears. that means i could have kept it a 3 speed...

i made sure i did it the right way. i used the felt because it seemed like the best choice. the fenders are attached so there isnt a possibility of connecting struts breaking and ending up in the spokes. the spokes on the bike are hevier duty than those of a regular bike. the gas tank didnt have to be bolted on. but most importantly i look cool riding it....lmmfao

i ended up designing and having made a stand for it. it lifts the bike so i can work on the front or the back. i can run the engine on it on the stand. i can shake the bike and it doesnt fall. it attaches to the crank on both sides and is made so the bike will not fall.

the only other thing i did was replaced the forks with the double springer. i know it wasnt asked about but now that i look back it makes me wonder if the looks have something to do with me not getting stopped...oh well

L8r on

the time i was driving my 1964 ford falcon station wagon
My very first car was in my last year of high school when I was in Big Bear California, just before going off to college...It was a 64 ford falcon with drum brakes...lol.

i come across this site and see people arguing over california vehicle laws and how they were interpreting them.
Yep...I had a Canadian argue with me over New Mexico law on motorised bikes when I quoted the laws here and used chapter 18 from the MVD code...He proceeded to use a US Criminal Code 18 to try to show me I was wrong...He should have read it before posting since it was talking about the Brady Bill Law covering gun control as well as civil rights...lol...He never responded to that issue after I pointed that out to him...lol.

until then, all i ask is that other members dont send me more messages quoting the california vehicle code. i know what they say and i dont need more people interpreting the codes for me. i appreciate the concern for me to be compliant as i am for myself.

i dont mind the messages but the quoting and interpreting california law i can do without.

i have never posted my interpretation so iask that you dont. if you look at the first person who responded to me, he did it right. he sent me a message and it was great.

all i ask is that my post doesnt turn into a spot for heated debate like ive seen others do.
This won't be a problem either, all you need to do is just use the PM, (private mail), in the upper right hand corner of the forum page next to your screen name and message me to remove any posts that start to appear like that...Since it is your thread, your well within your rights to ask me to delete these for you...Hope you enjoy our little forum here.

When you want to just hang out and enjoy a thread where we just get around and joke around etc, you will find it in the "Off Topic" forum and the thread is called "Miscellaneous Ramblings" that i started just for that purpose a few months ago...Enjoy...DAMIEN

Back