Can I Get Rid of My Master Link?

Jason74

Local time
2:36 AM
Since I have a half way decent chain breaker, can I go ahead and get rid of my master link. The holding clip on my master link is getting a little soft, so instead of replacing it, I thought I would just do away with it altogether. Is there problem with this?
I'm talking about my motor drive chain.

Thanks,
Jason

no prob that I can see
I have done it a few times and the only prob was having to break it again
master is for conveniencve of maintenance I believe :)

they have master links at walmart.
chainbreaker with master link $5
3/8" chain for single speed cruiser bike with master link $7(same as a 415chain but not as long).

If the holding clip is getting soft that suggests it was poor quality to start with...descent clips always snap-in/snap-out with a firm postative action(unless it's been overused)
Nothing technically wrong with getting rid of the joining link;think about any chain maintenance though.....think about removing the chain in the field if the engine fails.
Keep the joining link & buy a KMC/YBN/etc link.

Thanks for the input!

I really couldn't see any problem with removing it, however, I thought it would be good to check with those who would know for sure.

Thanks a bunch,
Jason

My link broke last night while I reached down to turn off the choke. Over the bars I went. And at 300 lbs. I dropped like a rag doll. Now I don't trust them. What to do? I need one about 52" for my Schwinn Del Mar.
HELP!!! I want to go riding again!

Back