Chainsaws,weedwhackers,snow blowers...oh my!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The one I did has no clutch. The whole thing pivots right behind the seat post so you can engage and disengage it by lifting it off of the wheel. The clutch that was on mine, had a square shaft on it. I found that when you take off the clutch the shaft had a threaded end that, conveniently, took a regular bicycle axle nut. I just made a shim with a washer on one end that slid on the shaft against the flywheel/fan (non washer side in) and then put the skate board wheel on and then threaded the axle nut with another washer on to hold the whole thing on. Luckily, the engine rotates in the direction that tightens the nut that holds the skateboard wheel.

I hope that made sense and helps. If you need some other detail pics, let me know.

Dan

i tried the same thing. only mine loosened up when i tried to bump start the motor. any suggestions?

Attachments

• IMG_2115.jpg
    IMG_2115.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 878
locktite...
double nut it...

are ya sure ya have the engine on so it aint runnin backwards ?

mike

yep, engine pushes tire, tire pushes bike forward. thanks, i found a solution thats works. just a question. does the skateboard roller have to have the exact same diamerter as the shaft? sounds sorta dumb i know.

If my calculations are correct, a 9tooth clutch to a 44tooth wheel on a 24" wheel at 5000 engine rpm should put you just slightly under 75 mph.:eek:

kabu

of course jus take ur time make sure all you calculations and measurements work out before u get any thing welded up

Alanh, without adequate horsepower, (assuming your calculations are correct) the result will probably be poor acceleration and bogging at the top end. Wind resistance becomes the primary concern at anything over about 15 mph.

Clutch supported via bearing

One of the current projects involves a brush-cutter with a clutch that has a sprocket attached. I was able to get a sprocket that has a 5/8" internal that fits the clutch shaft (with a little bit of the side of a Pepsi can as a shim).

I have however tried to run it but soon realized that i need a gear reduction that I will do soon. This was confirmed after reading this thread and of course smelling the burning clutch pads.

My next door neighbor suggested I should just bolt a bigarse motor on it :D. Thought this was a good idea so I went and got a Honda GXH50 but now want to replace the happy time with it on the cruiser instead.

That brings me back to my original plan but after speaking with the Honda guy and looking at the equivalent, a Honda 35 brush-cutter motor I think I need to mount a bearing to support the shaft instead of just leaving it to rotate in the breeze. This is how the Honda is setup.

So I have the clutch then the sprocket and then I need a bearing to support the other side of the sproket but don't have enough shaft to use one.

Any ideas on how I can do it??

I thought about using a bracket with the bearing bolted to it but still need to get it on the shaft to support it.

I hope the pics below show you more.

Thank you.

gygt.

Attachments

• pic2.jpg
    pic2.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 795
  • pic3.jpg
    pic3.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 830
  • rear.jpg
    rear.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 926
A clutch should not have any weight on it it must always rotate freely.What you need to do is use two bearings, one should get really close to the drive gear and one should be to the edge that should be enough support to take the weight of the chain tension.

bearing

Thanks JTU.

I know I need a bearing to support it but their is no shaft left to mount one on. Thats the problem I have that I am trying to solve.

If the pictures don't show this enough then I can post some more.

Seeya,

gygt.

It looks like the end of the shaft is hollow. Is it threaded? Perhaps something could be done there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back