Cheapest Way to remove rust.

bike4life

Local time
10:59 PM
HDX Muriatic Acid 31.5% or 10M solution.
Get the strongest stuff, not diluted much....https://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-2x1-Gallon-Muriatic-Acid-2118-HD/100119310

You can get (2) 1 gallon containers of this stuff for 13 dollars at home depot.
According to the stoichometry, you can dissolve a maximum 2kg or about 4.5lbs of rust if you use up both containers..... That's not too bad i guess for about 3 dollars/lb to remove rust.

For the electrolysis, lets say 10cents/kwh, at 3 dollars thats 30kwh of electricity. Lets say the car battery charger for the electrolysis is kinda inefficient and draws 300watts/hour. That would be around 100 hours of run time or 4 days. When i put in a bunch of parts in the electrolysis tank, in order for the hcl to break even with the electrolysis cost, the electrolysis must remove 1lb of rust in 4 days, which I doubt it does if i cycled daily a bunch of rust parts in the tank for it to work on. At 200w/hr thats 1lb of rust in 6 days.... So I think hcl is therefore the CHEAPEST way of removing rust. Not to mention one of the safest too.

Just dont your parts sit for too long before it dissolves your bolts and stuff....

I was started making a electroylsis tank out of an old 10gal aqarium to remove rust, but looks like this stuff is cheap enough (per unit of rust removed) and fast. It worked ok with the electrolysis, just really slow and left a kinda bad finish and sometimes these ugly precipitations on the steel. I am kinda upset though that i made the tank and wasted some time...

Attachments

• Screenshot (3).png
    Screenshot (3).png
    159.9 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:
AH but you missed the opportunity for the biggest rust eater of them all 19OL Dirt Coca Cola not this new coke but the kind you used in the day to eat paint, clean your toilet and get high on because of all the cocaine.

also Lemon Juice is cheaper just well more time consuming and might need a scratch pad for time items :p

$2.00 for this lovely paint destroyer

Back