China doll with a cvt

cloakedvillain

Local time
9:37 PM
It has to run at 12k to get full engagement lol.

Attachments

• Capture+_2024-02-24-17-31-56.png
    Capture+_2024-02-24-17-31-56.png
    904 KB · Views: 25
Pretty cool. I noticed Amazon ca has the Comet 30 clone model CVT for 90 CDN don't know if they are any good. Was thinking about it but just want to finish up what I've started. I really should try and sell at least one this spring to recoup some of the money I've spent the past few months.

I like the pull start he has, never seen one like that before. Looks like a much better idea than the crumby one that attaches to the magneto bolt.

He did a lot of machining and some metal casting to make this work.

The comet style cvts work well enough but are oversized for the 2-5hp motors typically used. I cant wrap my head around cad software but down sizing one of these wouldn't be rocket science. Ideally a cvt would go where the stock gear reduction is, and have a reduction as part of it.

Looks like a lot of work with tools I don't have. I was thinking it would be way easier to do than it is. That's how I usually get into things, with an abundance of optimism followed by the harsh slap of reality. Lol.

For starters, the clutch/final drive shaft would have to be recreated for the primary pulley to even attach. I'll have to watch that video and see what he did to make that happen. Thanks.

This is just more reinventing the wheel. There are 2 stroke options better suited to the task that don't require you to have tousands of dollars in machine tools to make.
I agree. Many much better options already out there.
I consider anything coming from 'Build, Break, Fix, AKA, Little Care Bear, AKA, Evil Care Bear to be nothing more than a total waste of time and effort.

I'd say a jackshaft shift kit is a better option should you use high quality parts.

I myself am going to try a centrifugal clutch kit.
Hard to beat the design elegance of the CG Russian D motor. Many have tried to improve the design but other than small technical details it has remained the same. Hard to improve a near perfect simple design.

Back