Clutch Clutch Cable Broke !

D

dr_clabo

Clutch Cable Broke !

Only have used the rig about 2 weeks or less and perhaps only a dozen times !

I thought that the angle for which the cable connected at the bottom looked somewhat acute from the factory.

Should I change the angle?
What is the experiences of the seasoned pros around here?

As always, thanks in advance,
~DC~

the smaller the angle, the easier it is for the cable to move (easier to squeeze as well)
the larger the curves (radii) anywhere on a cable, the easier the motion

p.s. you can use a bicycle brake cable as replacement (cheaper as well)

the smaller the angle, the easier it is for the cable to move (easier to squeeze as well)
the larger the curves (radii) anywhere on a cable, the easier the motion

As enlightening and as appreciated as that above was, perhaps the pic below will better outline the problem.

And, perhaps generate a detailed experience from a user.
There is but little clearance for adjustment on these and I simply left the factory setting.
Anybody else tinker or adjust the angle?
Anybody break a cable within days or weeks?

Let me know.....
~DC~

1106_Angle_1.jpg
[/i]

yup, turning it will lessen angle (straight)
a cable will generally not break from any pulling pressure,
but rubbing or sideways pressure will usually do it

hope that helps a little 8)

yup, turning it will lessen angle (straight)
a cable will generally not break from any pulling pressure,
but rubbing or sideways pressure will usually do it

OK, I see. So yes, your's did need to be adjusted - correct?

How long before your cable broke, I would like to know?

Did you get even a week of use before requiring coming up with the above solution?

Thanks,
~DC~

since you asked for this info...

during original install, i did slightly adjust the angle of the adjuster for "best fit" & even with that it still leaves a fairly sharp angle on the cable coming out and to the clutch-arm.

that said, tho...i better not be jinxing myself here...i have 6 months and 1000+ miles on the original cable with no signs of trouble to date.

and my opinion, after seeing pics of both yes-small-spring & no-small-spring, is that the small spring does in fact help keep the cable at a better angle where it goes into the adjuster.

since you asked for this info... during original install, i did slightly adjust the angle of the adjuster for "best fit" & even with that it still leaves a fairly sharp angle on the cable coming out and to the clutch-arm.

Fantastic - A straight forward answer to a straight forward question:
Should I change the angle?

I guess I am about the only one around that has ever broke a cable.
Certainly the only guy that has broke one within 12 days of use.

What have been the experiences of the seasoned pros around here?

dr_clabo said:
Fantastic - A straight forward answer to a straight forward question:

and now it's searchable, the library grows ever larger with each unique question :)

Yes.

You should adjust it for the best "natural" angle. I adjusted mine for height as well. It was low as set from the factory, so I unscrewed it a couple of turns until it was even with the clutch arm. I also took the cable out of the sheath and cut the sheath down A LOT. I then LUBED the cable with light grease (Lubriplate) and ran it through the sheath. Once all that was done, I cut off the excess cable. My lever pull is very light.

...and yeah, go to a bike shop and buy a cheap brake cable.

Back