Clutch??? Engine slipping. What do I need to know?

artmaker

Local time
6:48 AM
Well my brand new 4 stroke, didn't even have it running till half the summer is gone. I THINK I have a slipping clutch. Plenty of power in the motor but as soon as I come to even a slight incline in the road, no power at all. Actually sounds like the motor has plenty of power. Motor is racing along fine. I think the clutch is slippin not grippin. On level flat road, and not trying to go very fast, I can accelerate just fine, be it slowly. But I had to peddle up a few hills today. NOT FUN! Cut my ride short and headed home.

This is the motor I bought. (Wish I would have bought elsewhere too.)
MVC-001L85-466x316.jpg

So… Can someone point me in the right direction as to what to do? What this may or may not be? Easy fix or do I need a whole new clutch? I'll sit on youtube later, but you guys might know or have dealt with this already.

Try getting a bigger sprocket, like 56 teeth or bigger. That tranny looks like the qmatic design which is designed for 60 tooth sprockets to function properly. Just wanna say though I was thinking long and hard about getting a dax kit since I have long been curious about them, your other post shot that plan down fast and Im glad I didnt risk having the same misfortune as you. My Fat butt is sticking with my Golden eagles!

Are you guys talking about the rear gear there? I actually didn't use his. The one on my bike from the old 2 stroke is thicker. I just left that on. His looks like tin.

Now… guys. I don't think it's gear size here. When I get to a hill, and the engine starts racing only no power at all, that's a slipping clutch. (I know, it's happened to a few cars. I know a bad clutch when I get one.)
When this started happening, (not long after I got this running) it was just the steepest of hills it would start to slip. If I let off the throttle and feathered it a bit I could get over the hump. But now that trick isn't working.

This isn't a gear thing. This is a crap clutch thing. Guess I should just rip it apart and see what's going on.

Are you guys talking about the rear gear there? I actually didn't use his. The one on my bike from the old 2 stroke is thicker. I just left that on. His looks like tin.

Now… guys. I don't think it's gear size here. When I get to a hill, and the engine starts racing only no power at all, that's a slipping clutch. (I know, it's happened to a few cars. I know a bad clutch when I get one.)
When this started happening, (not long after I got this running) it was just the steepest of hills it would start to slip. If I let off the throttle and feathered it a bit I could get over the hump. But now that trick isn't working.

This isn't a gear thing. This is a crap clutch thing. Guess I should just rip it apart and see what's going on.
Is this a straight shaft or taper shaft engine?

Not a clue. I posted an image of the kit.
Try contacting Stanton Inc. to see if they know what clutch DAX is using, and if they have a heavy duty replacement for it. It looks like DAX is using a 2 shoe 3"x76mm for a 5/8 taper shaft. You need to call around and do some research.

Just went out for a short ride around town. I should add the bike works just fine while it's cold. Which doesn't take long to heat up. Then slippity do da.

Now I got a reply from Stanton already. LOOKIE!!!!!!
http://www.staton-inc.com/store/index.php?p=product&id=1676

I asked them but I'll toss this at you folks too. GO look at my motor (first post) think this is all the same size?
I'm guessing so. Sure looks like a MUCH better clutch. I'll wait till tomorrow, hope for answers but pretty sure I'll just order this in the morning.

Also, I dug up one of the photos I took while I was assembling my new motor. Here, my clutch doesn't look at all like either of the ones in that picture above.
Mine only has two pads.
IMG_5238.JPG

Well I took mine apart. ADD to the LIST of reasons I wish I never bought this piece of ¶§∞¢ from Dax. This whole thing is garbage. The belt he bragged about has a nice deep split in it. About to go at any time.
And his wanky hand made junk cover doesn't do anything. There's all kinds of road soot, oily soot and crap caked up inside there. And SOME of it, (not much but some) made it's way into the clutch system. No wonder it's slipping.

Before I order the new clutch, I think I'd rather get a whole new transmission. Now… is there any issues with size I should know about? And any suggestions for a good one?

I'll send this same question to stanton.

Back