Colder weather and ideal warm up temps?

Kpi890

Local time
9:25 AM
74C5B167-E06B-4F19-A4D3-25E146855D08.jpeg
The weather is gearing up to get colder around here (Louisville, KY) and I was wondering a few things. I just finished my first build and just wrapped up my second short ride on it, loving this thing so far! My questions are...

1. What is the best procedure for warming these little Chinese two stroke engines up before riding? And how do I know if it’s warm enough to ride or open the throttle wide open?

2. What ambient temperatures do I need to look out for and let the engine warm up more than normal? As in how cold does it need to be outside that I need to pay attention to letting it warm up enough?

3. Is there an inexpensive way to monitor my cylinder head temperature besides buying one of the $40 thermocouple spark plug washers? Would a grill thermometer with a probe rigged the right way display an accurate enough reading on the head?

And I attached a picture of my bike because I’m pretty proud of it, it’s not beauty like many of your all’s on here but I’m learning and loving the hobby so far! Thanks in advance!

Kyle

after starting, pull clutch and let it warm a bit - when you ride, you should easily be able to tell if it is still too cold to crank the throttle too much - go easy till it feels OK

after starting, pull clutch and let it warm a bit - when you ride, you should easily be able to tell if it is still too cold to crank the throttle too much - go easy till it feels OK
So once I get it started let it idle? I have also noticed that my engine likes the choke wide open to start not closed. As in it is easier to start with the choke not engaged at all... why is that? If I choke it, it really doesn’t want to start?

Thanks!

most motors don't need choke once they run in a bit - might need it after sitting a long time or if weather is REALLY cold

Kpi890:
My bike seems to take quite a while (3 to 4 minutes) to really warm up, so my procedure is just to ride nice and easy till it does - no leaning on the throttle till it's happy on the sweet spot. It also needs full choke on cold start, but my bike has always been picky that way.
And by the way - nice looking bike there! You are going to love it.

The choke restricts air flow, and somehow that makes the fuel/air mix rich.
You don't need choke to start up if/because your stock carb settings are good for break-in.. ie, really rich. :)
Keep it like that until you've used up your first gallon or whatever of 24:1 fuel.
When you have completed the break-in stage, adjust the gas/oil ratio of your fuel, if you wish, to 32:1, and tune your carb a little more accurately/ optimally to your preference, then you will need the choke more often in cold weather.

I can't finish this comment without saying..
You should get some decent brakes on that.

Kpi890:
My bike seems to take quite a while (3 to 4 minutes) to really warm up, so my procedure is just to ride nice and easy till it does - no leaning on the throttle till it's happy on the sweet spot. It also needs full choke on cold start, but my bike has always been picky that way.
And by the way - nice looking bike there! You are going to love it.
Thank you!

The choke restricts air flow, and somehow that makes the fuel/air mix rich.
You don't need choke to start up if/because your stock carb settings are good for break-in.. ie, really rich. :)
Keep it like that until you've used up your first gallon or whatever of 24:1 fuel.
When you have completed the break-in stage, adjust the gas/oil ratio of your fuel, if you wish, to 32:1, and tune your carb a little more accurately/ optimally to your preference, then you will need the choke more often in cold weather.

I can't finish this comment without saying..
You should get some decent brakes on that.

Great thanks! I pulled the spark plug yesterday after my second ride on the bile and it was that reddish brown color everyone talks about so I think I have the carb settings right but I’m not sure... and yes I know I need to order some brakes that’s the next thing on the list!

Back