Cracked head

INTP_ty

Local time
4:54 PM
Decided it'd be a good idea to wrap head/block with a rag because I was tired of having sprayed oil on my left ankle. Well, I think it over heated & now the head is cracked. While the new head is being delivered, can I still drive it?

Pain in the butt to start. Pain in the butt to keep it started. Still goes pretty good, minus about 6 mph. Def can hear the leak, lmao

Pics included. I took a snapshot of the piston as it looked a bit burnt... Idk if that's fine or not. No scoring. On 4th tank.

Attachments

• IMG_0586.JPG
    IMG_0586.JPG
    172.5 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_0588.JPG
    IMG_0588.JPG
    207.2 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_0589.JPG
    IMG_0589.JPG
    185.4 KB · Views: 135
No, not a good idea to drive it.
It would be a good time to get a better exhaust gasket or seal the source of the oil spray.
Engine will run better if you drill the pipe flange and the exhaust gasket out to 19mm (3/4") while you have it off.

Cut your oil mix back to 32:1 or so might help solve the dripping oil problem as well.

Make sure to torque your new head with a torque wrench or it may be prone to crack or leak again.

The exhaust gasket is clean. There is oil present on the top two fins. *Oil only gets spewed on my leg if I'm holding it wide open. And every time I do that, it always seems like I have to retorque the 4 head bolts.

Thanks for the tip on the exhaust.

15 ft lbs I hear? I don't know where they're at now. When putting the bicycle together, I snapped 3 of the sprocket bolts that were supplied with the kit. Def don't want to do that on the top end.

Are you sure you are getting sprayed from that crack? I had that same Ankle drip nuisance on my left ankle and it is from the muffler tip. Whipping a droplet of hot oil on my left ankle every now and again.

Back