Dio Reed Setup - No start issue

The bulge faces out. Usually black wire on top.
Ahhhhh YEAH! Flipped it around and got it running! BUT....... I need to mess with the jetting. Slight bog issue from idle to 1/4 throttle, but once it picks up.....DAMN! But from 3/4 to full throttle it does nothing and wants to die. What do you think my jetting should be? BTW, thanks dude!

Just gave it a test run again, it doesn't seem to want to idle..... feels like it's bogging alot and wants to die, even with no throttle to throttle input. Sometimes it would sort of act like an ON/OFF switch where the power would kick on suddenly, mostly bogging though and then cuts out. Is it running too rich?

Just gave it a test run again, it doesn't seem to want to idle..... feels like it's bogging alot and wants to die, even with no throttle to throttle input. Sometimes it would sort of act like an ON/OFF switch where the power would kick on suddenly, mostly bogging though and then cuts out. Is it running too rich?
You sound lean

A lean bog, will do just that. Act like no power, maybe even chuggy and lurchy, then all the sudden it takes off like a rocket. To rich will just keep four stroking, never really making much power ( depending on how rich you are). Rich will just keep being a dog and get all carbonie till the plug is caked and it wont run. Lean will race and blow up.

A lean bog, will do just that. Act like no power, maybe even chuggy and lurchy, then all the sudden it takes off like a rocket. To rich will just keep four stroking, never really making much power ( depending on how rich you are). Rich will just keep being a dog and get all carbonie till the plug is caked and it wont run. Lean will race and blow up.
You think an air leak will cause that? I haven't plug that nipple thing on the reed case cover, when did I plug it with my finger... it drops RPM, stumbles, and eventually stalls. I'm not sure if it's a lean condition concerning the jetting, from what I gather the pre-installed jets are too rich for most setups?

I plugged that nipple but it wouldn't run without it open....... do you think it's just jetting and to leave it plugged up? I unplugged it and it ran somewhat, stumbling like before and the motor seems unusually hot afterwards. There were a bit of smoke coming out of that nipple, it shouldn't do that right, I mean, are my reed petals torn? I thought the whole purpose of the reed valve was to stop blow back.

You are burning the motor up.
What do you suggest I do? Plug up that nipple and just play around with the jets? I've looked for jets and it seems they don't sell anything under 100 main, which is what it comes with pre-installed. From what I've gathered, it seems like the jetting is a bit rich for these China Doll motors? I mean, the reason why I think it's running 'lean' to begin with is because of an air leak... but once I get that fixed, then less air will cause my jets to actually be too big? I'm confused.

You don't solve a jetting issue by adding an air leak. Which is what you are doing. You will burn that bad boy. Get the jetting fixed, and any air leaks. Get the leaks first, so you can get the jetting. I use a propane or mapp torch, not lit, just seeping the gas out, while the engine is running, to find leaks. I use the plug to find my fuel needs.

If it is stumbling off the line, it's not going to be your main jet, if you have many circuits. It's going to be the pilot.

Back