Dio Reed Setup - No start issue

Yeah, I'm thinking it's that nipple...... it would idle but won't hold steady, would constantly go up and down. I'm guessing it's that nipple, but when I did plug it up, the motor won't even turn over on it's own. I can't find any info on what that nipple is supposed to do, or if I'm even supposed to plug it up. Maybe I'll just plug it up and try to re-jet it. *shrugs*
That nipple is for a oil injection line, some 2 strokes ran a oil pump which had a line from it to to the dio reed intake. The other thing that nipple is used for is for a vacuum operated fuel petcock. You can buy actual plugs to plug it off, or just get a vacuum cap assortment & cap it off.

That nipple is for a oil injection line, some 2 strokes ran a oil pump which had a line from it to to the dio reed intake. The other thing that nipple is used for is for a vacuum operated fuel petcock. You can buy actual plugs to plug it off, or just get a vacuum cap assortment & cap it off.
I bought caps and plugged it up, but after doing that it wasn't running at all...... motor didn't feel like it wanted to turn over on it's own. You think pilot is too rich? I believe they come pre-installed with a 41 pilot and 100 main.

If it's too lean it can burn a hole in the piston, I've done it. When you're playing with jetting and go to lean it will get hot real quick. An air leak will do the same, you need to check the piston for a window like Karl said take pictures.
Yeah, I probably need to take off the head and cylinder to check and see if the previous owner did indeed put a windowed piston or not and if I did any damage to the motor when I was running it lean and hot. But even if it ran a regular piston, I don't think it will cause the motor to run soo hot? You think without a windowed piston there would be some blow back? I noticed some smoke coming out of the nipple.... though it could be from inside the cylinder escaping through small openings which got me wondering, aren't reeds supposed to stop that from happening? Thought that was the whole purpose of reeds, got me wondering if my reeds are destroyed.

Will it run at all? If it wont run at all it very well could be a reed issues. On pilot jet I'd look at getting #38 & #40 pilot, I'm running a 38 pilot.

Yeah, I probably need to take off the head and cylinder to check and see if the previous owner did indeed put a windowed piston or not and if I did any damage to the motor when I was running it lean and hot. But even if it ran a regular piston, I don't think it will cause the motor to run soo hot? You think without a windowed piston there would be some blow back? I noticed some smoke coming out of the nipple.... though it could be from inside the cylinder escaping through small openings which got me wondering, aren't reeds supposed to stop that from happening? Thought that was the whole purpose of reeds, got me wondering if my reeds are destroyed.
I think you are having multiple issues, I'm betting your reeds are messed up & you possibly have a scored cylinder as well.

I think you are having multiple issues, I'm betting your reeds are messed up & you possibly have a scored cylinder as well.
I ordered some jets, the pilot jets fit fine... but the main jet is different from all of the ones for sale on eBay. When I unscrew the main jet, it's as long as the pilot jet, looks to be of of bigger thread as well and once the jet is off you can see a brass needle sticking out. The small main jets supply that I order will not fit, what kind of main jet do I need?

I ordered some jets, the pilot jets fit fine... but the main jet is different from all of the ones for sale on eBay. When I unscrew the main jet, it's as long as the pilot jet, looks to be of of bigger thread as well and once the jet is off you can see a brass needle sticking out. The small main jets supply that I order will not fit, what kind of main jet do I need?
If you got a pic of said main jet will help. Some carbs have a standpipe/emulsion tube, (lol I think that's the right term)? the main jet screws into.

Heres what I'm talking about, I tried taking the main jet out & the whole tube removed.
20220127_161752.jpg

Back