Disguising an engine

mifletz

Local time
7:32 PM
Can one get away with diguising a driven engine with a thin zip-on nylon bag that allows air through?

Or will any impeding at all of the air flow cause damaging overheating?

Just curious, why do a lot of people want to hide their engines. Me personally, I like showing off my engine. Let's people know what I can do and what I did with my bike. Even if no one can see a disguised engine, they're still going to hear it and know you have one. Even cops, so if you're legal you have nothing to worry about there.
Just Curious !

Last edited:
Just curious, why do a lot of people want to hide their engines. Me personally, I like showing off my engine. Let's people know what I can do and what I did with my bike. Even if no one can see a disguised engine, they're still going to hear it and know you have one. Even cops, so if you're legal you have nothing to worry about there.
Just Curious !

You are so right. I get people so intrigued at both my son's and mine that they want our phone number in case they want one built. I've built one for a guy after he saw mine. "Sweet Home Alabama"...the land of VERY few motorized bike restrictions (only two for me...under 150cc and lights at night)....:D Yes I'm almost sure that you will have an overheating problem. Especially with a rear mounted...I'm sure that these engines are pushing the envelope to start with.

Last edited:
If motorization was legal here, I would not hide anything. You guys who live in less gestapo- oriented states are blessed.

Mifletz- you can use that material (if it doesn't melt from exhaust heat) IF you have a mesh or grid between the material and the engine. It must be spaced out enough to allow air flow around the material.
Lacking welding skills, you can do the milk crate thing chopping out the bottom. I made a bolt-on grid out of heavy weld filler rod, that captures each side and I tie black shopping bags on.
After a ride in room temperature weather I took out the oil dipstick and stuck a thermometer in the oil and it stabilized at 180 degrees.
If you make a visual barrier, do take a temp reading.

For stealth, it probably wouldn't hurt to add some sound absorbent material either, inside the crate. A substantial portion of small engine noise comes from the intake.

Also, ref this thread...

Last edited:
man..i agree with so many others on the fact that i like to show off the fact that my bike has a motor on it.
as far as a theif wanting to steal my bike...my bike is never out of my sight. i'm either on my bike, or it's in my garage.
so may people are worried about getting in trouble....rules were meant to be broken.
And if that wasn't the case, NONE of us would have put motors on our bikes in the first place.
why hide something that you've worked so hard on to make work on a bicycle?
I just don't get it.

Back