Do you pedal while riding?

What do you do while motoring along?

• Total voters
I purposely went with pretty tall gearing on my Staton kit, knowing that it would be best for me to pedal from a dead stop up to about 10mph to get things started and not wear my clutch out prematurely. So I do pedal from every stop up to about 10mph. Beyond that, I only pedal to help up hills sometimes, and once in a while I ghost pedal...just to look like I'm not riding a motorcycle on the shoulder of the road! I will typically cruise the longest part of my 20 mile (each way) trip at between 30 and 35 miles per hour, and it's through a relatively busy suburb of Chicago and there are LOTS of cops on my route. I think that when I start riding it to work again, which will be intermitten and always was, with the new legal status of our bikes, I may not go out of my way to disguise that I'm under power. I never did get pulled over or hassled in any way, by the way. I didn't use it much all last year, with 3 high mileage cars and cheaper (than $4 a gallon) gas. With gas prices rising, I may take it to work just for fun and a little exercise. It is FUN and rather therapeutic riding to work and back, and because of the traffic in my area, I can make it to work on the bike in 45 minutes, while it typically takes 30 minutes by car.

Warner

So far, I have been pedaling the electric bike most of the time.
Exercise is a high priority for me (gotta keep pounding the 138 pound body to stay in shape). Plus, pedaling is what police expect to see on a bike. -Just another bike.

I pedal every time I ride and keep my speed at around 16 mph that way when the cops are around they don't think anything about it. Just another guy on a bike. So far it has worked well.

I pedal from a dead stop to put less wear on the clutch. Also if I'm pulling into an area with a bunch of people I will usually kill the engine and pedal before I come to a stop - hey, it's just another bicycle... :whistle: Other then that (and starting the engine, obviously) I don't pedal at all - the gearing (3 speed hub hard set to lowest gear), seating position and small size of the bike make prolonged pedaling quite uncomfortable.

If I drive by kids or a friend I pedal backwards :D

I never peddle, not even on the take off or to get the motor running. I just coast down my driveway and pop the clutch. even on take offs from a dead stop, i may push myself off with my feet on the ground, but i never use the peddles to get going. The only time that i do use the peddles is to apply the brakes.
I don't know about you guys, but i built my bike to show off the fact that it has a motor on it, not to hide the motor.
unlike some of you, i do not rely on it to get back & forth to work or to get from point a to point b. I built mine just for fun.

do you pedal while riding

With my respiratory problems (after cancer) I cannot pedal enough to get off the street I live on. If I run out of gas or something, I'm stuck til someone comes to get me. Hmmmm, I wonder if AAA........Nahhhhh not likely! Woody

Back