Exhaust ... How Hot?

FrizzleFried

Local time
9:37 PM
How hot does the exhaust pipe get on a standard motorized bike? How about a Phantom 85?

My laser temp gauge doesn't seem to work on my chrome header as I get much lower temps from it than I do from the head itself. I suspect the chrome is throwing it off. Has anyone measured the temps right at the header on a black pipe? I'd like to know the temps expected on these things.

Thanks!

I figure the head will hit 400 degrees... (though mine never goes above 335 as I don't let it)... header can't be much more than a hundy or so degrees more than max head temp, right?

I figure the head will hit 400 degrees
I don't think the head hits as high as 400* and i have no clue how hot the Phantom exhaust pipe gets up to.

Ps...Heat will also be governed by how rich it is running along with the gas/oil ratio your running through it as well.
The leaner you run it and the less oil you run will result in higher temps.

Been doing some searching ... thus far it seems 380 degrees to 420 degrees is common for header temps on 125-250 cc 2-stroke engines... I can only guess these little guys aren't any hotter.

Good. The galvanized flex matierial I have is rated for 600 degrees. I was worried it wasn't gunna cut it.

:)

Been doing some searching ... thus far it seems 380 degrees to 420 degrees is common for header temps on 125-250 cc 2-stroke engines... I can only guess these little guys aren't any hotter.

Good. The galvanized flex matierial I have is rated for 600 degrees. I was worried it wasn't gunna cut it.

:)
A good thing to keep in mind when you realise that the Phantoms are prone to a little four stroking and run really well at 20:1 ratio...That keeps the temps down as the Phantoms do tend to run a little hotter than most China Girls out there...Hence the reason why I see no need to lean it out or change the ratio since I do not wish to incur higher heat in my motor or exhaust system...lol.

My head runs like 240f. I want to learn it out but I can't see the needle clip to good my old eyes I guess
I have to wear two pairs of reading glasses to see mine so your not alone...lol...One pair is my normal 1.25, the other is the 1.50 pair...works great to see the grooves on the needle...lol.

Back