Experience being pulled over in CA

I ride fast so I got me some good 4 piston brakes with 9" rotors and a good D.O.T. bicycle helmet! hehe
Well done barnfresh, and I hope your disc Brake and riding skill will keep your helmet from ever getting a 'bad scuff' ;-}

I live in Ventura County, California. Have any of you been pulled over before? I have the plate, licence, brake and turn lights... The whole kitten-caboodle. What might happen, if a Police officer pulls me over? I am totally in the right of the law, yes? (unless I was doing something stupid of course!) If anyone has some experience on this, please share! Thanks!

Sincerely,
Da Noob

1st time being pulled over is the reason I found this thread in the first place.

Local police asked me for my license. He informed me I needed a special plate AND an M2 license. Wow. I got my homemade MB from a friend years ago, have since replaced many parts and driven in several SoCal/LA (SFV & SGV) cities, and I've never been pulled over. LEOs have pulled up next to me, usually appeating more amused & interested than anything. They've looked it over, some asking if I built it, what that thing cost me or how fast it goes, but all moved right along. I was completely blown away & have been online since, trying to find out what I need & what it'll cost me. Didn't think anything other than safety equipment and adhering to rules of the road was required. My previous research sure was wrong. Either that or somebody found a loophole and an additional source of revenue for the state!

What am I supposed to put down for VIN, engine #, make/model (Frankenstein bike with partial kit, parts from 3 other bikes & ebay...what will the DMV want on that darn form?)

Okay, under VIN # write the serial number of your bicycle. it's usually a series of numbers and letters stamped on the frame under the peddle crank. If your bike doesn't have one you should make one up yourself and stamp it on your frame. If it gets recovered by the cops after theft the VIN number is how it will be identified as yours. Under engine number write "E" and then the serial number of your bicycle, "E" is for engine, this is acceptable so if you ever want to replace the engine you will not need to change the DMV info. For make/model you are supposed to write in your bike make and model (ie Huffy Alpine) if you have other parts on your bike just use the make and model of your frame, or you can just make one up, haha. Don't forget to sign your application and include a check or money order in the amount of $21 made out to the CA DMV, send to the address on the form, wait 3-6 weeks for your license plate and registration. The registration does not need to be renewed, you do not need stickers, it's good for the life of the bike.

Back