First Build

New to the concept, but definitely having fun building this. Still have some work to do (disc brakes, better tensioner system, wide crossover stand, drum up the nads to ride it), but I think I’ve navigated a few of the mismatches and frustrations.

E567E815-62AB-4755-8EDD-A86DB3A275F9.jpeg

Chris recommend zoom calipers to me and they are great! Dual piston cable pull hydraulic.

Yes, Spare_Parts/Chris, I’m likin’ that idea of the hybrid Zoom caliper — sealed, no lever or cable changes, a compounding of pressure, and looks like a bigger pad (squared, rather than those quarter-sized rounds). They’re really not that much more $ than these little Bolids I have, either. Definitely want something more substantial than what I was planning, and that just may do it. The rear v-brake isn’t powerful enough, by itself (left hand busy with the clutch ‘n all), and I still wanna do the rear two-stage setup. That front will definitely shut this thing down, but I have to be careful about already being disengaged, not in a heavy turn, and feather the plunge of the forks — wouldn’t bug me, usually, but I really can’t afford a fall right now. When I was actually prepared and able to test both brakes, with the clutch locked out, this puppy squatted right down as purty as could be, but it was mostly front power — I’d like to have faith the back (alone) would keep me from plowin’ inda somebody’s stupid lawn gnome, or (even worse) traffic. I gotta get that rear mount done, and I’m gonna try that hybrid caliper on the back. 👍

THANK YOU!

Not sure how I missed this- looks good. It looks like there are at least 8! cables coming off the bars 😳 It’s like the police interceptor bike.

Jus’ looks more complicated than it really is, Doc...

Left: Front Disc, Front (3spd) shift, Clutch.

Right: Rear V-Brake, Rear (7spd) Derailleur, Throttle, and KillSw (looks like ‘nother cable). Once I git off m’ arse ‘n build that rear caliper bracket, there will be one more cable on the right, ‘cause it’ll be a rear two-stage.

This is th’ one we were talkin’ ‘bout, as far as them jets. Settled on th’ #65, fer now. Yerz come in yet?

It’s like the police interceptor bike.

Just caught that, Doc. 🤣 Yeah, at 30mph, I s’pose it could be used like that.., if’n there was a rogue HoverRound breakout at the local nursing home. 🤣 ‘Course, even those could neutralize it’s effectiveness, if they escaped in enough numbers... 🤣🤣🤣 Tryna corral ol’ folks up could be like herdin’ cats, I’d think.

You probably already know this but more brakes on the rear will never stop you like adequate brakes on the front can. Braking transfers the weight to the front wheel and it can apply like 90 percent more stopping force before skidding. Lots of motorcycles will have dual disc front and single disc rear.

You probably already know this but more brakes on the rear will never stop you like adequate brakes on the front can. Braking transfers the weight to the front wheel and it can apply like 90 percent more stopping force before skidding. Lots of motorcycles will have dual disc front and single disc rear.

You’re right, Frogslayer, in understanding the principles of braking. Hence, the 203s. The purpose of the heavier rear ability is actually for safety, having deep-stroke front tubes and the potential to have to deal with the clutch and front dive in an emergency stop — being able to all-stop with the two-stage rear will just make me more comfortable, since I ain’t so young anymore. 😉

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Hmmm...

I have a RSE on one of my bikes. No real improvement over a well ported piston port engine. I will probably change it out for a larger reed as the RSE is restrictive at the 13.5 id.

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
I have a RSE on one of my bikes. No real improvement over a well ported piston port engine. I will probably change it out for a larger reed as the RSE is restrictive at the 13.5 id.

Yeah, Gary.., looked a little small, and maybe tough to keep reeds in it. Guess I really needa jus’ git off m’ arse an’ tear this thing down and do some basic casting cleanups. That’d pro’ly do more than a simple reed would, anyway.

Back