First Post

S

steve2

I am new to motored bikes. I bought a Chinese 80cc before I found this site. Because of what I have read here I have replaced the intake and exhaust studs and gaskets and the mounting studs and used Locktite. Don't know if I should do anything to the head gasket/studs??? I plan on coating the engine with a black ceramic reinforced paint (Black Satin Header Coating) from Caswell. I will make engine temperature measurements before and after painting to see what (if any) improvement there is. I will install the engine on an old hardtail Diamondback mountain bike. I am debating whether to replace the bikes centerpull brakes with linear brakes. Probably will. Any suggestions are welcome.

G

Here's a suggestion- ride that thang!

Welcome, have fun.

S

steve2

Thanks

Thanks for all your welcomes.
Bikeguy Joe - I intend to take your advice soon!

J

JosephGarcia

You might wanna look through the Technical and Mechanical Help section and see if there is anything you missed, seeing as it is your first engine.

Break-in tips, Chain adjustment, spark plug gap info, etc.

I think you should break in the engine in the form it arrived to you. then after it's broken in, paint it. Just my two cents.

I also will be painting my engine soon. :D

S

steve2

Thanks, I will go back through the Technical Forum.
I had been wondering if the paint might affect the break-in. I will take your suggestion. The break-in of these motors seem to be much more delicate than that of a car engine.
I am still struggling with the break-in methodology. I have rebuilt several car engines and during the break-in period you want some wear of the cylinder walls and the rings to mate them correctly. And using synthetic oil during the break-in is a no-no because it prevents the necessary wear. The kit I bought requires synthetic oil during the break-in and this would seem to go against a proper break-in. I am not familiar with 2-cycle engines and the take I get from the Forums is that the chinese engines are so poorly built that any wear of the cylinder walls is a potential problem, even during the break-in period.
I haven't yet decided what to do. Maybe a compromise - 50% synthetic oil??? Maybe a short break-in period with regular 2-cycle oil followed by the rest of the break-in with synthetic???
Maybe I am worrying too much over the insignificant???