Carby Gas keeps leaking from the Bike, can't figure the fix..

Tank Bolts.

hows about the tank bolts themselves?

mine had each and every one slowly develop cracks, hence leaks :)

cure so far has been to hit em with, in this order, a bit of hydrochloric acid applied from a zinc rod (flux!), a big 200watt soldering iron (she gloooooows!), and some solder :)

when i get a new tank the first fix is too solder some washers on with the torch before i fill it with petrol :)

ive never really had a leak anywhere else...one carby leak that flooded me crank and thats it...
Yeah Bro, I've got 3 or 4 tanks standing in line to be fixed.

My Skyhawk had a gas leak too, what freaked me were the black chips in the fuel filter,
came to realize, they are paint chips, the tank seams are bad ! I drained the tank, and scuff sanded the seam, than applied a thin coat of JB weld to the seams, Should cure it !

The stock petcock never worked right, Pirate Cycle has a nice replacement.

oh man, more j,b, weld!
j.b. weld is an EPOXY that will deteriorate when it comes into contact with gasoline over time.
the only correct way to fix a leaking gas tank is either brazing it, or silver soldering it.
I really hate j.b. weld, and how a lot of people think that it's a "fix-all" cure for everything that is broken or leaking.

Paint chips

Thanks Motorpsycho, Yer right again.
The paint chips are a problem but all ya gotta do is scrape or sand it off. If you're talking about a 2 cycle then ya got oil in yer gas, right? Then ya never have to worry about it rusting couse the little gas that splashes on it will keep it in good condition.
Thanks,
Big Red.
P.S. I don't even own a tube of J.B. failed.

and regular soldering works just as well with a big enough iron to get the heat. and zinc chloride flux... no flames needed.

i just got a new tig welder...aluminum capable :) such a long list of bits to make but fuel tanks up there at number one or two!

I store my bike inside my house and the sucker was stinkin' me out. I couldn't figure it out. Until one day I happened to be looking at the carb and noticed a drip from the drain screw. The red washer supplied with my kit was the culprit. 13 cents later my problem was solved. I thought I had the problem solved whn i found the washer for the drain on the tank. I had installed it with teflon tape, and it didn't work. For some reason the tank drain doesn't leak even tho the washer's made of the same material as the carb drain.

My 1st install had a stuck float that seems to be a very common problem with the Speed carbs. The CNS has a much better float design but unf those things are :poop:I never was able to get it to run right with that, so i put my speed from my 1st motor on. Just a note, if the drain on the tank is leaking your fuel line will be wet with gas. If the line is dry you're prob is either the float or the bowl drain. Good luck and don't smoke!

Back