Gasoline powered electric bike loophole?

Frankenstein

Deceased - Frankenstein 1991 - 2018
Local time
4:30 AM
Where the TV show forensic files is produced.
If a bike was to be hooked up as to drive a small generator to as opposed to the bike itself, and used the generated electricity to power an electric hub, with an on board battery that will store excess power and also drive the electric hub, would that technically be an electric bike, falling under federal legislation rather than the state laws?

A handicapped guy did this some years ago. There is at least one Youtube video. He used a Honda generator, mounted high in the back of the ready build 3 trike. He consulted a marine company for a charger . Don't recall where he lived, but the bike was considered an electric bike, as it technically is powered by batteries and had pedals also. DAVE

it is right here and a trike. i mentioned it before. cool but heavy i'm sure. center of balance has to be horrible.

That just makes no sense to me in any way shape or form.

The Most Expensive way to generate electricity is with a small gasoline powered generator, and they are heavy!
To strap one to a bike to generate power to charge a battery for an electric battery is ludicrous!

The beauty of an electric is cheap quite light power.
If you have a 4-stroke, power the bike with it.
If you go electric just get a bigger battery and charge from a wall outlet for pennies.

That just makes no sense to me in any way shape or form.

The Most Expensive way to generate electricity is with a small gasoline powered generator, and they are heavy!
To strap one to a bike to generate power to charge a battery for an electric battery is ludicrous!

The beauty of an electric is cheap quite light power.
If you have a 4-stroke, power the bike with it.
If you go electric just get a bigger battery and charge from a wall outlet for pennies.
That wasn't the principle of the question.

Do these ideas involve a trailer?
Yes you could put a generator low down in a two-wheeler trailer with a spare battery pack and cooling fan, and go camping. You could leave it behind while you go on day rides.
It would certainly be an electric bicycle if the generator is on the separate trailer and doesn't need to operate while the bike is in motion.
I rejected the idea because of the added cost and the weight/ lost carrying capacity (where would I put the tent etc), the added complexity and challenge of keeping the batteries cooled yet dry while charging and discharging; but mainly the cost.
It would make more sense if my routes and the purpose of my journeys were different so I'm not saying that it's a bad idea. Some places have lots of cops with no way to avoid them and nowhere to plug in a charger.

Back