Has anyone here tries or have any information on the use of band brakes on the rear of a motorized bicycle?

Benchdweller

Local time
12:27 AM
I was wondering if anyone has ever tried or seen a set up with the band brake drum bolted to the drive sprocket and using a band brake on the rear when disk brakes aren't a realistic option.

I've used these in the past on numerous other motorized toys and found then adequate if used and maintained correctly. Thinking of trying to use it on my rebuild of a cruiser bike.

I was wondering if anyone has ever tried or seen a set up with the band brake drum bolted to the drive sprocket and using a band brake on the rear when disk brakes aren't a realistic option.

I've used these in the past on numerous other motorized toys and found then adequate if used and maintained correctly. Thinking of trying to use it on my rebuild of a cruiser bike.
As what I was told by one of the well known members on at some point . That the drum brakes were the best if you get them built in the hub. Not the add on ones.

As what I was told by one of the well known members on at some point . That the drum brakes were the best if you get them built in the hub. Not the add on ones.
Oh there is no doubt about that. Band brakes aren't really drum brakes as is the term is usually used.
There's no question a real drum brake is better than a band brake.. But I'm not looking for that. Besides using a rear drum without a jack is a chore that if I was going to do I would just monkey a disk brake set up.

Actually I would try them too but my mag wheel set up. Can’t no room. I call these add on drum brakes. I’ll be stuck with rims brake on back for now. If you try them let me know how they work? This is the other drum brake I was talking about it’s the whole hub. Sturmey Archer Dynamo Drum brake Front Hub 36h, Silver https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002AGC7F8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_-.0oFbHDHN9RA

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Back