Has anyone here tries or have any information on the use of band brakes on the rear of a motorized bicycle?

Those band drums are a lot cheaper then buying a disc set up . Plus you have them laying around, added bonus. I really need to know if they work? There’s no worst feeling going high speeds and can’t stop when you really need too. Rim brakes always get a oily film and take paint off rims. Look at the brighter side coaster wow no way.They also ruin rims and mags

Last edited:
Actually I would try them too but my mag wheel set up. Can’t no room. I call these add on drum brakes. I’ll be stuck with rims brake on back for now. If you try them let me know how they work? This is the other drum brake I was talking about it’s the whole hub. Sturmey Archer Dynamo Drum brake Front Hub 36h, Silver https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002AGC7F8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_-.0oFbHDHN9RA
mag rims are exactly why I want to use a band brake. I don't want to go through the hassle of retro fitting my cruiser with adapter mounts and then the hassle of reIaligning my chain and repositioning the caliper. Been there and done that. Plus the area I am in I don't need the top notch braking power even with my motor running in the high 40s. Nor do I really like like it would look. Band brakes have pretty decent stopping power anyway and it will set off the disk brake fetishists.lol
After a recent close call I don't trust rim.brakes on these mag rims being sold by the motor vendors and have an unused set to replace my failed back rim.

Going to ditch the rims brakes for disk front and band rear. Drill the drum to accept the disk brake bolt pattern and just mount it right over the he drive sprocket into the hub.

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
In my experience a Band Brake ain't no good for a motorbike. It's gonna burn out real fast
I don't see why. I've had numerous karts and minibikes that have used them stock, yammies and Hondas that were pushing why more power in a heavier package than any motorbike. Besides, rim brakes were doing me fine other than not being compatible with the mag rims and band brakes have way, way more stopping power than any rim.brake.:alien:
If rim.brakes stop them a band brake certainly will especially paired with a front hydraulic disk.

They worked fine on my two trike builds and those were double the HP of any China doll.

Actually I would try them too but my mag wheel set up. Can’t no room. I call these add on drum brakes. I’ll be stuck with rims brake on back for now. If you try them let me know how they work? This is the other drum brake I was talking about it’s the whole hub. Sturmey Archer Dynamo Drum brake Front Hub 36h, Silver https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002AGC7F8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_-.0oFbHDHN9RA
yeah I knew what you were thinking of. They are awesome af brakes actually. Pretty much just as good a as disk in most apps

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Careful with rim brakes on those mags. . Believe me they aren't safe.

mag rims are exactly why I want to use a band brake. I don't want to go through the hassle of retro fitting my cruiser with adapter mounts and then the hassle of reIaligning my chain and repositioning the caliper. Been there and done that. Plus the area I am in I don't need the top notch braking power even with my motor running in the high 40s. Nor do I really like like it would look. Band brakes have pretty decent stopping power anyway and it will set off the disk brake fetishists.lol
After a recent close call I don't trust rim.brakes on these mag rims being sold by the motor vendors and have an unused set to replace my failed back rim.

Going to ditch the rims brakes for disk front and band rear. Drill the drum to accept the disk brake bolt pattern and just mount it right over the he drive sprocket into the hub.
There’s no room for a disc on my adaptor. This is what it looks like

CDHPOWER Adapter and Sprocket 36T for Mag Wheel-Motorized Bicycle https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XKJT29J/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_.p9oFbGKSHZVS

I’m in the middle adding front disc too. Not done yet. Since the front cruiser bikes don’t the caliper bracket I’m changing forks.Here’s before and progress now. The reason the exhaust it was free.

Attachments

• C89445F9-E7CE-43C4-B210-0891A5ED4982.jpeg
    C89445F9-E7CE-43C4-B210-0891A5ED4982.jpeg
    179.6 KB · Views: 191
  • EF8B2659-709E-4C7E-85F5-F17816134DA2.jpeg
    EF8B2659-709E-4C7E-85F5-F17816134DA2.jpeg
    427.2 KB · Views: 188
I don't see why. I've had numerous karts and minibikes that have used them stock, yammies and Hondas that were pushing why more power in a heavier package than any motorbike. Besides, rim brakes were doing me fine other than not being compatible with the mag rims and band brakes have way, way more stopping power than any rim.brake.:alien:
If rim.brakes stop them a band brake certainly will especially paired with a front hydraulic disk.

They worked fine on my two trike builds and those were double the HP of any China doll.

I didn't think you had any experience with Band Brakes. From what I read ya use them all the time. Good Luck

Whizzer Motorbike tried a Band Brake in 2005 - 2006 and it was paired with a front drum brake. (Auto clutch models only)
The front drum brake worked very good but the rear Band Brake used by itself burned out very fast.
Whizzer Motorbike by the end of 2006 did away with the rear Band Brake and replaced it with a rear drum brake.
This is my experience with the Band Brake. I personally don't like em.
I upgraded my wheels 37,000 miles ago to Worksman Cycles front and rear drum brakes and haven't had any problems

Back