Has anyone here tries or have any information on the use of band brakes on the rear of a motorized bicycle?

My rear freewheel hub came with a band brake. After a lot of hassle installing it, I found it to be completely worthless on a heavy bike with a "husky" rider. Fortunately they sell thread-on disc brake adapters to take their place. This time the install hassle was worth it.

My rear freewheel hub came with a band brake. After a lot of hassle installing it, I found it to be completely worthless on a heavy bike with a "husky" rider. Fortunately they sell thread-on disc brake adapters to take their place. This time the install hassle was worth it.
You mean "Burly" like me.

I didn't think you had any experience with Band Brakes. From what I read ya use them all the time. Good Luck

Whizzer Motorbike tried a Band Brake in 2005 - 2006 and it was paired with a front drum brake. (Auto clutch models only)
The front drum brake worked very good but the rear Band Brake used by itself burned out very fast.
Whizzer Motorbike by the end of 2006 did away with the rear Band Brake and replaced it with a rear drum brake.
This is my experience with the Band Brake. I personally don't like em.
I upgraded my wheels 37,000 miles ago to Worksman Cycles front and rear drum brakes and haven't had any problems
I didn't mean to come off as insulting. I have used them on trikes. That's it. They come stock on many minibikes and karts which are heavier, faster ,and more.powerful than these . I said I have had then there. Then I stated that they do have more stopping power than rim brakes which I have found adequate and many others do too. In high traffic ,stop.and.go city riding I have a found a little.bit more.desirable but on these flat farm roads this build has been used for.... Brakes don't get much hard use. ( rolling into intersections and.coasting intonl stood sorta thing.) rim pads require frequent changing and constant attention too. Which I have found isn't much issue for the maintenance mindedness mechanically inclined. The maintenance on these bikes I find to be so easy and simple I. dont mind having to do it often.
I've just never tried mounting one over the disk hub mount sprocket after drilling one out the drum rotor for the bolt pattern. I never said nor implied I have used them all the time, not on a bicycle with a motor. I asked out of curiosity on the fit, not on the performance. All I did say was I have found a weaker brake system( dual rim) fairly adequate. Which a band brake has more stopping power than a rim, which will be paired with a front disk.
I totally get they aren't ideal or the best. What I think some are missing are that isn't. What I am exactly looking for. I am looking to keep using a system I personally have found good reason to not trust a rear rim brake on, on a build that isn't really set up, and wasn't intended to have a rear disk. Which means a good chunk of change in a basket of parts, and a complete tare down and rebuild. I want to use the extra set of mags I have kickin around on a frame that isn't disk ready, and was built to have perfect chain alignments with the sprocket mounted without a top hat, which would throw it off and then require more fabrication to get the caliper on the rotor correctly. Not the best performance option, but, sorta inline with my old car and old motorcycle days when I would keep the stock drum brakes and accept and adapt to the dangers of those when all the best of the best minded would chime " wait till you pick them up, you'll want to mod for modern disk then".
Now here is the dickhead part of my mentality that I didn't mention. There is also a slight itch I have had for a awhile to try one to grate on others. The same one that I had when I was into hard riding mountain bike riding and would often forgo disks for rim brakes because they worked well enough if you accepted them for what they were, partially to rile up my fellow riders who were disk brake fetishists. Which I can say driven me to choose rim brake options over disk on.some of my bikes.

Then again maybe In a danger junkie. I was one of those maniacs weaving through city traffic and red lights for years on mountain hybrids and BMX bikes with no brake at all to keep car mirror and street sign post cables out of the mix and only having the heel of my left sneaker against the rear wheel with my toes on the stay. So there's that too.lol

s**t I get what your saying but I lost count of how many people I know who are disk brake fetishists who swear you " hardly even ever use the rear brake with a disk fork".

You didn't read my situation. The wheels are disk.brake ready, the frame is not. The only issue with disk brakes on the build is that the sprocketnis bolted on the rotor mount and would require a complete rebuild of the entire set up to align the chain. Nev been a fan of even slightly offset motors.

Along with I am currently on my seasonal job 300 miles from my shop, doing my hobby projects out of an upstairs studio where my condensed ools stay and a parking lot where my tinkering takes place. So still a a good chance it will come back there with me despite this one.being intended 7to stay here and being fitted again for the rear disk come December.

I know that seems like a " why bother then?) but if you saw the work set-up, availability of even basic bicycle parts, and my work hourse you would get why I'm dancing around it for, maybe not choose it personally, but why it is even beinvnmmj

You didn't read my situation. The wheels are disk.brake ready, the frame is not. The only issue with disk brakes on the build is that the sprocketnis bolted on the rotor mount and would require a complete rebuild of the entire set up to align the chain. Nev been a fan of even slightly offset motors.

Along with I am currently on my seasonal job 300 miles from my shop, doing my hobby projects out of an upstairs studio where my condensed ools stay and a parking lot where my tinkering takes place. So still a a good chance it will come back there with me despite this one.being intended 7to stay here and being fitted again for the rear disk come December.

I know that seems like a " why bother then?) but if you saw the work set-up, availability of even basic bicycle parts, and my work hourse you would get why I'm dancing around it for, maybe not choose it personally, but why it is finally.being seriously considered after a couple years of toying with toying with the.idea.

[
Bingo...

Band brakes are better than no brakes 😁👍

Thats about all it boils downs too in our books...

I agree,,, a schwinn band brake has a fraction better stopping power than our rim brakes,,,

Our trikes also have rim brakes up front,,, we can use both brakes for stopping,,, more or less of either brake """front or rear."""

Will the Schwinn band brake lock up the rear wheels on dry pavement at 100 degrees,,, you bet they will...
View attachment 98851

In matter in fact,,, the Shwinn band brake by its self alone can skid this 6 too 700 lb set-up too a grinding halt in the distance of a few feet...

Try that with the best quality rim brakes... Ha

At 25 mpr easy...

Plus,,, the Shwinn band brake would last a long time in our biking situation,,, becuase we tapp it kool on our rides,,, why would a person go roaring up too a intersection too slam on the brakes all the time too wear them out...

Why not get off the gas and let the bike slow down,,, and use both brakes for coasting/ gliding too a slow comfortable stop...

Oh well,,, makes no difference too our grouop of riders what others do,,, all we know is how we treat our equipment 👍👍👍

Brakes are brake,,, they """all""" work good for us because we take pride in looking after things,,, brakes and everything...

Would it be wize too switch brakes on something that has a good brake,,, frugal too replace or re-line when the time comes...

Inspect and maintain is easy too do using a band brake that is all ready there...

I am not out too argue the point of the best of the best

If that was the case,,, how come we dont chime in on the best boat dragging anchor out there...

If a person wants stopping power,,, pitch a boat anchor off our pedal bike that its attached too the frame of our bikes with a 3/8th cable and see how fast we stop... Lol

My anchor is better then your anchor

⚓

Yo Yo Yo 😁👍
A little hard on it but yeah.

I know that seems like a " why bother then?) but if you saw the work set-up, availability of even basic bicycle parts, and my work hourse you would get why I'm dancing around it for, maybe not choose it personally, but why it is even beinvnmmj
If you go with band brakes you'll still have to bolt on or weld on some sort of mount on the frame. Might as well just bolt on some caliper mounts. Similar to this.

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
If you go with band brakes you'll still have to bolt on or weld on some sort of mount on the frame. Might as well just bolt on some caliper mounts. Similar to this.
no you don't . They mount to the axle thread and are secured from rotating on it with a metal bandclamp. Again ,people keep ignoring the whole reasoning for a single reason. The mount is the least of it.
I've used those before and am going to again on the fork.

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Back