Has anyone tried to register as a Moped

I have seen many cops in western pa never been stopped. I've seen local cops, state cops they don't seem to even look. Unless you live in pittsburgh or philly or a corrupt cop town the chances of stops and tickets is well whats the word for it, unlucky.

I'll also add I pedal every time I see one and a 4 stroke isn't nearly as loud as the popular grumpy time engines. I had a cop tell someone I know it has to be 1.5 hp and that "They aren't worried about a bicycle" or something like that.

You are right, been talking to pennsylvania dept of transportation supervisors and they tell me over and over that bicycles cannot be registered, no matter what kind of assist engine they have or have not, they do not a vin number, they do not have road legal safety systems, they do not have street legal lighting, cops will quote title 1302 of the vehicle code, it doesn't mention bicycles/pedacycles as being exempt from registration so cops assume that this means bicycles are required to have registration, it isn't so, this is only because ordinary bicycles/pedacycles are not considered motor vehicles by Pa or the feds, but I still see statues online that gas engine bikes are considered mopeds by Pa and sometimes I see that electrics are too,, the electric bikes are regulated by the feds, I don't know about the gas ones, mike
It's easy to hook up battery powered lights. Headlight and Stop tail light

It's easy to hook up battery powered lights. Headlight and Stop tail light
yes it is, but penndot supervisors says they cannot be registered and that come from the regional supervisor from the vehicle division, Jen Michaels, I talked to her last week online, if they won't register it, they will send all the paperwork back and can it, mike

electric bikes are federally regulated, no registration required in Pa, they do not mention gas powered bikes in the fed statues but in pennsylvania, act 154, which was an amendment to the previous Pa laws on motorized bikes, they do mention electric motor assisted bikes are allowed on public roads and are not required to have registration or added lighting or safety equipment, wonder why they pick on gas powered but not electrics, mike

electric bikes are federally regulated, no registration required in Pa, they do not mention gas powered bikes in the fed statues but in pennsylvania, act 154, which was an amendment to the previous Pa laws on motorized bikes, they do mention electric motor assisted bikes are allowed on public roads and are not required to have registration or added lighting or safety equipment, wonder why they pick on gas powered but not electrics, mike
Obnoxious noise maybe? Youngsters blowin through stop signs and lights at 45mph etc...etc... :D

You are right that most cops wont bother you. You are right about the 4 strokes, they defiantly last longer but cost more and arelarger

You are right, the feds say motorized bikes are an off road vehicle, they only mention electric bikes but they say in general that they are not motor vehicles or even vehicles no matter kind of engine they have according to the feds, the feds say that if electric bikes are allowed on public roads it is up to the state or county, penndot supervisors says bicycles cant be registered no matter what kind of assist engine they have and I have talked to then at length about this, mike

No, I am not convinced at all that registration is not needed in PA, that is the problem, I get one story from PennDOT, one from the cops, one from the internet, one from members that say they registered in PA when I have asked 3 different tag and title places and they don't have a clue how to do it, e bikes are federal now and legal to ride on public roads and in a gray area between moped and bicycle in PA act 154, no mention of gas powered in PA act154 or the federal statues, both gas and electric bikes have pedals but modern mopeds do not have pedals so technically a bike with a jet engine on it from a Lear jet is still not a moped but a motorized bicycle because mopeds Don,t have pedals anymore, look one up online, mopeds can no longer be propelled by Human power, only engines, electric or gas, motorized bicycles can do either, just another example of how screwed up governments are, last thing I need is a cowboy cop giving me a hard time, there are many good cops out there and a few that are cops for the power, some that are just uninformed but mean well, mike

Back