head and running light on a 12 volt system

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay this is really funny, just a few posts ago you didn't know how the circuit you hate works, embarrassing yourself over the age old mystery "Can diodes accept DC input?" - but now you're spitting out every technical word you can remember.

Underneath all of this bluster : "Your TVS diode needs to be rated for the load".

You're just making stuff up now. I never said any thing like that. Unfortunately you ruined a useful discussion by acting like a whiny little child. So far the only thing you've proven is you can hook a light up to a battery on a non-motorized bike. I'm truly impressed.

You're saying "don't criticise without trying!" when you've done nothing but criticise this lighting setup, and have never tried it, and that everyone who has tried it is successful.

You're the one doing the criticizing. I mentioned that on single ended grounded dynamos you can use an off the shelf half wave regulator. You got all upset and criticized that. Then I said you could lift the grounded leg on the coil and use a full wave regulator. You didn't like that either and boasted about your superior tape method. And of course if we want to buy one we can get it from Europe on the internet. Yeah, lot's of useful specific information you've provided. And it's just gone downhill from there.

I don't know why you have some sort of emotional investment into an old bicycle dynamo. But there are other ways of doing it and that's what people are exploring. At least they were until you came along like a turd in a punch bowl.

You don't realize it yet but we're all laughing at you. So keep it up.

Last edited:
I'm disappointed that after three days, this is the only thing you can post.
You're just making stuff up now. I never said any thing like that.

Yeah you did, I even quoted it.

Unfortunately you ruined a useful discussion by acting like a whiny little child.

I said "don't overthink it" and you got mad. You up and said that the circuit I posted didn't work, because you misunderstood it in a very fundamental way. When I clarified that you went absolutely mental.

So far the only thing you've proven is you can hook a light up to a battery on a non-motorized bike. I'm truly impressed.

I've proven many things in this thread, all of which to do with you not knowing what you're taking about.

You're the one doing the criticizing.

I provided a well known solution to the problem this thread is about, that is tested and proven. You've been trying to argue why it won't work - using faulty reasoning due to you not understanding it, and then afterwards, using technobabble to obscure simple statements that were never in question in the first place.

I mentioned that on single ended grounded dynamos you can use an off the shelf half wave regulator. You got all upset and criticized that.

Nobody was upset. I said it was wasteful, considering full wave rectification is better and only a few cents more expensive.

Then I said you could lift the grounded leg on the coil and use a full wave regulator. You didn't like that either and boasted about your superior tape method.

You suggested that in order to stop the dynamo from grounding on the frame, to open it up and modify it. I suggested just taping off that part of the frame would be easier. That's not boastful, that's a suggestion to save effort.

And of course if we want to buy one we can get it from Europe on the internet. Yeah, lot's of useful specific information you've provided. And it's just gone downhill from there.

Nobody said anything about buying any dynamos or any electrical tape from Europe. I said there's very good lights sold in Europe and that I recommend them.

I don't know why this pisses you off. Seems irrational.

I don't know why you have some sort of emotional investment into an old bicycle dynamo. But there are other ways of doing it and that's what people are exploring. At least they were until you came along like a turd in a punch bowl.

I said "don't overthink it" and you've been on a freakout for a whole week, saying blatantly wrong things about electronics and generally being a rude as***le.

You could have saved yourself embarrassment days ago, really simply. Remember when you said the circuit won't work with a dynamo that's got a built in rectifier, and then I showed that actually it did?

All you had to do was say "oh yeah, I had a brain fart and forgot how a rectifier works for a minute", and that'd have been the end of it. You could have also said something like "Are you sure electrical tape is strong enough? The clamp might cut through it." And that would also have been a reasonable doubt to have.

Instead you got emotional and said a whole bunch of angry, badly thought out things, and I've spent the week going "no, and here's why that's wrong". Healthy adults don't react the way you do.

You don't realize it yet but we're all laughing at you. So keep it up.

There's been like, one other post in here since you started freaking out, and it was a guy telling me I "defended myself well" and asking me a polite question.

Last edited:
Yes it does.
I can see why the schematic confused some people, when wires cross each other they must think they are connected. They are not connected with out the connection dot.

moron2.jpg

That's connected one way. Here's the other.

G08PsJ4.jpg

The other alternative is to just exclude the now-unnecessary rectifier from the circuit. You can just do that. It's four diodes. Just leave them out.

Look ma. no rectifier:

VuUmr6Z.jpg

This one is not good for those of us wanting to run lights and charge a batter using a "MINI-GEN" or the stock magneto coil. Have to rectify AC to DC,then regulate the DC as to not over charge and or blow bulbs or burn LEDs.
I'm puzzled why you're sceptical about wrapping two or three turns of electrical tape on your bike's fork blade before you clamp on the dynamo's mounting bracket there. What about that strikes you as difficult?

Yes it does.
I can see why the schematic confused some people, when wires cross each other they must think they are connected. They are not connected with out the connection dot.

moron2.jpg

That's connected one way. Here's the other.

G08PsJ4.jpg

The other alternative is to just exclude the now-unnecessary rectifier from the circuit. You can just do that. It's four diodes. Just leave them out.

Look ma. no rectifier:

VuUmr6Z.jpg

This one is not good for those of us wanting to run lights and charge a batter using a "MINI-GEN" or the stock magneto coil. Have to rectify AC to DC,then regulate the DC as to not over charge and or blow bulbs or burn LEDs.
I'm puzzled why you're sceptical about wrapping two or three turns of electrical tape on your bike's fork blade before you clamp on the dynamo's mounting bracket there. What about that strikes you as difficult?

Last edited:
Yeah I never seen someone screw up a posting like that before.

You're right that it won't work with anything driven off the engine's magnet, tbh anything directly engine driven best looking at the "very bright bike lights" alternator guy. Magneto's barely powerful to run the motor as it is

I agree about the post, and the fact that the mags do barley run these things. I have a 12v "MINI-GEN" am working on the rect/reg circuit now. Not in a big hurry, there is snow here right now. :eek:

I'd welcome the snow back right about now, it left last week and now everything is mud. Keeps raining around 3AM so it never dries out. Dog comes back from doing his business white on top and black under, and still wiggles his way out of a towel dry

I'm disappointed that after three days, this is the only thing you can post.

Unlike you, I'm actually an adult and have a life. I have better things to do thatn incessantly argue with idiots on the internet.

I said "don't overthink it" and you've been on a freakout for a whole week, saying blatantly wrong things about electronics and generally being a rude as***le.

Are you STILL whining about this? You're the rude as***le here calling names and dismissing anything that you didn't come up with. You really need to Google the definition of "projection."

You could have saved yourself embarrassment days ago, really simply. Remember when you said the circuit won't work with a dynamo that's got a built in rectifier, and then I showed that actually it did?

All you had to do was say "oh yeah, I had a brain fart and forgot how a rectifier works for a minute", and that'd have been the end of it. You could have also said something like "Are you sure electrical tape is strong enough? The clamp might cut through it." And that would also have been a reasonable doubt to have.

No, I was pointing out that if you connect a single-ended alternator to a full-wave rectifier then you are shorting the negative side of the bridge to ground. Direct shorts are bad.

Yeah, the schematic you posted may work. But it means that people here will have to breadboard the circuit from scratch, which is beyond the capabilities of most. Instead, I offered a $4 off the shelf solution.

Instead you got emotional and said a whole bunch of angry, badly thought out things, and I've spent the week going "no, and here's why that's wrong". Healthy adults don't react the way you do.

There's been like, one other post in here since you started freaking out, and it was a guy telling me I "defended myself well" and asking me a polite question.

Is this Bizarro World? Who said things like kindergarten, take a nap, and juice box? You're the one who started in with the histrionics and pre-school level insults. And it turns out you're just a brat with a pedal bike that never had a motor on it, with your greatest accomplishment hooking a battery to a light.

I'll start giving you some credit when you do more than copying a circuit you found on the internet, actually put a motor on your pedal bike, and, of course, learn some manners. Have a nice day.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back