head and running light on a 12 volt system

Status
Not open for further replies.
THIS is an absolutely wonderful idea. No, I haven't tried it, but I like it.
I'm no expert, but it seems like the obvious solution to the problem of limited space. With a little 12v battery, it doesn't really matter if you produce no electricity at stop lights. 12v motors are cheap and it shouldn't be too hard to mount it to something like the arch chain tensioner.

Last edited:
I like what I've read so far from you guys. Have any of you guys heard of this system I came across? http://djwillk.wixsite.com/vbbl
It's for a 12 volt alternator system and looks pretty decent. I've seen some videos of them on youtube and wanted to know what you guys think. Here's the link to the video:

hello to all. i have a 80 cc china motor on a huffy frame. this is my
thing i want to do to it and ask for any feed back you all might have.
i want to use a 12 volt motorcycle battery and run a set of led fog lights and a 12 volt red running light on my bike. so any info would be help full.:bowdown:
Hi. It can charge a 12volt motorcycle battery, but a small one. I have the charging coil system in my bikes, but if you want the best use of the battery, I would advise you to use low voltage LED bulbs. I have the full kit of lighting, indicators, break lights driving lights, main and dip beam, ALL on my motorised bicycles, the batteries I bought are 6volt for one bike, and 12 volts for another, the amp hours is crucial for longer charge, being kept, the more amp hours the battery, the easier, and easier, and longer, the battery lasts.

Actually the whole 12v charging system is very easy.

You need charging coil that is NOT grounded at one end. It looks like the one offered by Gasbike is the easiest to modify:

https://www.gasbike.net/collections/magneto-electric-parts/products/12v-generator

See where it's soldered on the top end? Unsolder it and attach an insulated wire and run it outside the case with the other wire. Then attach it to a cheap 4-pin moped/motorcycle rectifier/regulator like this $4 one for a GY6 moped:

https://www.banggood.com/4-Pin-12V-...-125cc-150cc-Moped-Scooter-ATV-p-1134889.html

The two wires off the coil are the yellow wires, and the red goes to the battery + and green to battery - (ground).

IMAG0366.jpg

For a battery you can use a small lead acid. Gel cells that are 12V 4Ah are very popular for alarm system back up and generally cheap. Hell, that's probably overkill and the 1.2Ah battery posted by Stoltzee will probably be enough.

But that's it! Alternator coil, rectifier/regulator, battery, you're good to go! The worst part is finding a connector for the regulator. In that case you can use a different model with a wire pigtail like this one for $9:

https://www.banggood.com/Voltage-Re...-450-2004-2009-5TG-81960-00-00-p-1077720.html

If you use the Yamaha regulator you wire the coil to white and yellow, red to battery +, and black to ground. Add a toggle switch between the battery and regulator and you're done.

Edited to add:

Here's a good candidate. It's your standard single phase 4-wire rectifier/regulator, comes with a pigtail wiring so you can easily connect to it, and best of all, it's cheap!!

https://www.amazon.com/Wingsmoto-Rectifier-Regulator-Voltage-Scooter/dp/B00ZI7U8RK

And finally, if you don't feel like modifying the Gasbike charging coil, you might be able to use a Briggs & Stratton voltage regulator from their old 5 to 9 amp "Tri-Circuit" system that used a 1-wire stator coil.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VOLTAGE-RE...-B-S-691188-491546-793360-794360/331879044399

Connect the yellow wire to the charging coil wire, and the red wire to your battery/lights. Use the center hole to make sure the regulator is well grounded to the frame. The down side is you're actually throwing away half of the charger's output, but it will work without modifying the coil wiring. It's the difference between a half wave and full wave rectifier.
When you un solder the wire on the generator and are you soldering in two wires leads? "Connect two wires from the coil to the two yellow to the voltage regulator." I have the voltage regulator from Amazon wingmoto rectifier regulator. The wiring instructions tell you to install yellow pink to the lead coming from the coil. Your instructions say to unsolder the wire from the generator and solder in a insulated wire then attach to the two yellow wires on the voltage regulator.

So the way I'm understanding this is you add a wire and hook up the end to separate wires on the voltage regulator yellow yellow or yellow pink in my case is this correct

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
When you un solder the wire on the generator and are you soldering in two wires leads? "Connect two wires from the coil to the two yellow to the voltage regulator." I have the voltage regulator from Amazon wingmoto rectifier regulator. The wiring instructions tell you to install yellow pink to the lead coming from the coil. Your instructions say to unsolder the wire from the generator and solder in a insulated wire then attach to the two yellow wires on the voltage regulator.

So the way I'm understanding this is you add a wire and hook up the end to separate wires on the voltage regulator yellow yellow or yellow pink in my case is this correct
Good luck getting any sort of answer from @CroMagnum...lol...Last seen Dec 26, 2017.

He posted this on
Oct 31, 2017...lol.

Please look at the date codes on each and every post before going on an "archeological" expedition to dig up ancient history...lol.

I don't know about Cromagnum but I'm still around after a long hiatus.
Nice to have ya back...During my long sojourn upon this earth, I use to live near you in Little Compton as well as Barrington, not far from where you are at...I was still young then and worked at Benny's on Metacom Ave in Bristol...lol.

Ps...That was so long ago, they still had a Photo-Mat kiosk in the parking lot back then...lol.

Nice to have ya back...During my long sojourn upon this earth, I use to live near you in Little Compton as well as Barrington, not far from where you are at...I was still young then and worked at Benny's on Metacom Ave in Bristol...lol.
Benny's is long gone and greatly missed, where are you now?

Benny's is long gone and greatly missed, where are you now?
I am now retired these last 12 years now and moved right after I retired from the seacoast area of New Hampshire to Alamogordo New Mexico...It costs a third of what it cost in New England to live here...Ya get to glow in the dark too...lol...This was the place the first atom bomb was tested in 1945 before Hiroshima and Nagasaki were bombed...lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back