headlights

I have a very similar setup to sjackson, only I use two SSC P7 flashlights, each mounted to the handlebars by a pair of interlocked #10 hose clamps.

These flashlights.

With streetlights, both flashlights in low mode is plenty of light. On a dark road (no streetlights, no cars, no moonlight) it is bright enough to easily see the road with both in hi mode.

The batteries are a little longer and wider than a AA, are rechargeable, and last about an hour.
Flashlights are $36 each, batteries about $5 each and the charger is about $13, free shipping.
Total cost, $95 for about 1000 lumens, and less than 1lb of weight added. Plus you can always take them off and use them as flashlights.

Photo courtesy of "pushy", from another forum:
http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/2172/dualp7scourtpushyxj5.jpg

Sorry to hear about your one bad experience srollerguy.

Last edited:
Here's my experiences with LED flashlights for lighting -- they work very well!

Three biggest recommendations are:

(1) Use Sanyo Eneloop batteries if your flashlight uses the conventional AA or AAA batteries. They're awesome at storing electricity for loooonngg periods of time. I use these batteries in every portable device I own because I only buy devices if they use these most conventional batteries.

(2) Doubling up on some more moderate flashlights is usually going to be better than one extremely powerful flashlight. Just more flexible to use one or both, which direction they point, etc.

(3) TwoFish Lockblocks are awesome. I haven't tried the dual hose clamp method which would prolly be good enough, but I did want some rubber to dampen the vibrations felt by the flashlight. It's also sweet to be able to remove the flashlight in one second to use elsewhere.
(One pack: https://www.4sevens.com/product_info.php?cPath=92&products_id=273 -OR- Two pack: https://www.4sevens.com/product_info.php?cPath=92&products_id=274 )

LED flashlights I've used:

(1) Coast LED Lenser P7 (AKA 8407 or HP8407) (now only $77 at http://www.tooltopia.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=38244 )...
Best flashlight I've ever seen. Speed Focus is very nice for widest beam from any flashlight or incredibly narrow, focused beam... your choice. Batteries last virtually forever.

(2) Fenix L2D Q5 Premium ($58 at https://www.4sevens.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_65&products_id=600 ... 8% off that with CPF8 coupon code at checkout, use that on the TwoFish Lockblocks above, too!)...
Brightest flashlight I've ever used. Its beam is only slightly narrower than the Coast Lenser P7, but the output is regulated for a consistent level of brightness. This drains the battery quicker, in about 2 to 2.5 hours... unlike the P7, which is always putting out a consistently lower level of brightness. That's why the P7 runs forever, but even after 10 hours the brightness is acceptable as one headlight.

(3) The double pack of Element LED flashlights from Sam's Club that SirJakesus was talking about (something like $30 at Sam's)...
Definitely the best value in LED lighting as they give you two for $30. Right off the bat, the two combined are very powerful. But there is no focus like the Coast light (even tho the packaging shows a variety of beam patterns, there's only one), and the output isn't regulated like the Fenix light. For some reason, the output decreases a lot faster than the P7 does... but at least there is output for many, many hours.

In summary: The Coast P7 is awesome, but I'd keep it at home or in some bag that you carry often and use it as a utility light. If you need some budget lighting, the Element lights are very nice since you get two.... if there were only one, I wouldn't bother. The Fenix is my flashlight of choice for MBs. I only have one, but it's good enough for me. Takes AAs, extremely compact, and has excellent build quality. 2 Fenixes with 2 TwoFish Lockblocks would provide better visibility than almost anything you could come up with.

(3) TwoFish Lockblocks are awesome. I haven't tried the dual hose clamp method which would prolly be good enough, but I did want some rubber to dampen the vibrations felt by the flashlight. It's also sweet to be able to remove the flashlight in one second to use elsewhere.
(One pack: https://www.4sevens.com/product_info.php?cPath=92&products_id=273 -OR- Two pack: https://www.4sevens.com/product_info.php?cPath=92&products_id=274 )

THANK YOU SO MUCH for that link to the TwoFish lockblocks. I've been looking for a good place to get those for what seems like forever. None of my local bikeshops carry them. When I asked one, the guy said he hasn't "seen those in years. Do they still make them?"

The link for the two-pack is actually a three-pack, BTW. Which is perfect, because I've got three bikes that I'm going to want to stick this flashlight on.

No prob...

I meant three-pack. I should know 'cause I bought it! Just came out wrong 'cause that was a long azz post.

Don't forget the CPF8 coupon code for use at 4sevens.com ... usually you can email 'em afterward if you already ordered it, and they'll credit the 8% back.

Just a note. I bought one of these. Not a real good deal.
There are two major pieces to this. the Light itself and the mounting bracket that mounts on the bicycle. My mounting bracket lasted a day, fell off and before I could turn around a guy in a truck ran over it. End of light. I did manage to unsolder a number of LEDs from the board and use them in other projects. If you can get the light for under $10 then it's worth it just for the LEDs

Superbright is a good site. I've bought several 12v units from them for MB use and to replace my motorcycle and car lighting. They also sell 12v LED flasher units.. great stuff!

Putting on a 55 watt driving light and hooking it up to a small 12 v SLA battery is the same as putting a car headlight on your bike, you guys know how bright that is, you can see for 100 feet in front of you and 20 feet out the sides theres nothing better or brighter than this setup for these winter nights.

Exactly what I have. 55 watt driving light mounted to reflector bracket, running off a 7.5 aH sealed lead acid battery. I don't know how long it will run before dying, but I KNOW it will last for an hour which is all I needed on my commute to work. It's light out when I leave to come home, so it didn't matter if the battery wouldn't make it for 2 hours. I simply attach the charger leads to the battery (leaving it on the bike, mounted with heavy duty velcro and 150lb zip ties to the top tube of the frame) and let it recharge overnight. I also bought a 12v scooter horn for the bike which comes in handy occasionally. Through pitch black forest preserve roads in the morning, it's like riding a motorcycle....it REALLY lights up the road! With the battery, TWO lights (one on the bike and one spare), charger, and all the assoicated switches, connectors, etc I have about $100 into the setup and wouldn't trade it for anything that costs twice as much retail.

Warner

Last edited:
Back