Hello From Portland OR

Hey Smyton, nice rides. It looks like in your second picture the rear sprocket is dished the wrong way. Do you have a problem with it aligning?

Portland Cops

To answer Skyliner70cc's question about portland cops. We haven't been stopped yet. I looked up the laws regarding power assisted bikes and mopeds. I imagine if we had full light set ups including signals we could be classified as mopeds but I am pretty sure that would still require license registration and insurance. We have passed many cops and they seem to either smile and head the other way or stare us down with either a look of confusion or disdain. Its my estimation that they themselves don't know if what we ride is legal or not. So for now we have the best of both worlds because the bike lanes are so well developed in Portland and bicycles are allowed a whole lane of traffic when needed as well. I guess we just have as much fun as we can until something changes. I love Portland in so many ways.

That red bike is Hutches. The rear sprocket is put on so that the teeth are closer to the wheel and further from the frame. This actually help alignment in his particular case because the frame didn't allow too much room. it doesn't seem to rub on the tire and he has never thrown that chain so I guess it is good.

Smyton, have you ridden the Springwater line? It runs out to Boring (or used to). If it hasn't been taken over by joggers, it ought to be a good ride for you. Back when I lived there (about 8 years ago), I could ride into town from 135th and never see another person except when crossing main roads.

Last edited by a moderator:
Springwater Trail

To answer Alaskavan's Question about the trail: I live in deep SE Portland right near where the Springwater crosses Johnson Creek. So we ride it into Sellwood very late at night only. I don't think we are really supposed to be on it ever. The trail I believe is off limits to all but foot/bicycle traffic. Due to the tendency of these motors to disturb folks tranquility we try to honor that. But every now and then if we are still awake and want to take advantage of a rare break in the rain, we grab a six pack and blaze down to the Oaks Waterfront Park and enjoy a brew by the water and then sneak home when we have the trail to ourselves. Hee Hee what the bike jocks don't know won't hurt em. We have a buddy who lives in Boring right on the Trail. I think he is getting a 70cc kit from Santa so I'll keep you updated on the Springwater adventures.

LOL. smyton, you rewl!

Thanks for an entertaining few posts of your builds and your riding adventures...

:thumbup:

:)~

Back