Hello MB Community

L's M-B

Local time
7:28 AM
Hello every M-B'er out there. I thank all the members for their support in this hobby and the expertise this forum provides...I'm 1 month in to my first build, and gotta say that I'm enjoying the "roller coaster" of a ride it has taken me on...I ordered a 49CC HS 142f from gasbike.net and mounted it on a steel frame bicycle I picked up from a LBS. Initially, the build up the build up was relatively simple, just follow directions and your set to ride. But, I soon realized that this build would test my creativity and brute force. The bike's frame has 2 additional toptubes, I assume support, running below and just off to each side of the main toptube. After a few hours of filing, cursing and mounting I had my motor sitting in the v-frame and had clearance to nestle the choke in a "tri-pipe" area by top/seat tube. The build went smoothly, my only concern was that the engine would not fire up. Filled the motor with genuine Honda oil(142f=Honda ghx50) some gas and that puppy fired right up! The bike is my commuter, and I've ridden about 250 miles. So far so good, right? This past Oct. 31, I loaded up my gear for what I thought to be a now routine ride to work. I ran a quick inspection of the bike, checking for loose bolts, leaks or anything out of the ordinary. It all checked out so I left to work. I make a left to head down a main street, and approxiamtely 100 ft from my house I had my 1st M-B accident. I'm sure it's happened to a few, if not many, so I'll spare the details. At first I didn't know what happened, I assumed the drive chain jumped off the rear sprocket and had jammed in the axel/frame. But, why was I thrown over the bars and have the bike pendulum over on to me? THE FENDER TAB... Long story short, my 2 day build has turned into a 1 month injury recovery and quest to build a safe and reliable M-B. I've ordered a few parts and am anxiously awaiting the Maiden Voyage pt 2... I've attached a few initial build pics, more recent ones up soon. Can't wait to see where this forum leads me in my first and future builds. Thanks!:helmet:

Attachments

• IMG107.jpg
    IMG107.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG111.jpg
    IMG111.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG113.jpg
    IMG113.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 118
Welcome to MBc. I, too, hope your second attempt is much safer than your first. Keep us posted, and read everything you can in the various forums. Use our search facility, look for everything you are not sure of...K?
Patrick

Last edited:
Hey P.W.,
Thanks, I appreciate it. Yeah, if it weren't for both the google and mb search engines I would've probably gone crazy by now.:cool:

When you get rolling on the "second build of your first build" may I suggest that you open a new thread in the proper Forum, and post everything you have done thus far, what went wrong, and what you are doing (as you go along) to correct the problems with the initial build. It may help others avoid some of the pitfalls you ran into, and you might get some helpful hints from the gurus along the way.
Patrick

The fender tab!! I cant believe they still build these things so cheap, when the tab breaks, the wire that holds the fender up does not break and jams into the wheel, stopping it and throwing you face first into the ground, very poor design.
The bike I found (in the trash) and made my first build had one on these cheap fenders on it. fortunately I read about it on this sight and removed it (front only) the rear fender tab did break but since it has 3 points of attachment,, no problem. bottom line, remove the front fender or take a chance

Attachments

• 100_3712.jpg
    100_3712.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 97
  • 100_3711.jpg
    100_3711.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 130
Back