here is the only video of my pusher trailer....

i dont know if you remember the pusher trailer i made... well i dont use it anymore because the axle broke last year 5/8" cold rolled at 30mph... i was to lazy to make a new one so i just moved on to other stuff... someday it will be brought back... but here it is.

Have ya figured it out yet, How to set the Valve Lash? I'll explain it for ya It's easy

With the S/P out. Put the piston @ TDC on the compression stroke then set the lash with the feeler gauge. That's It.
This is the only way to set valve lash

I'll explain how to find TDC on the compression stroke

1) First Identify the Trigger point (Spark) mark the Flywheel to case for a reference

By watching the valve assembly and lining up the flywheel trigger point You can identify TDC on the Compression stroke.
Study the valve assembly movement and you'll understand - I hope :LOL:

2) Watch the valve assembly open and close the exhaust valve. Now your at the beginning of the Intake stroke.
3) Watch the valve assembly open and close the intake valve. Now your at the beginning of the Compression stroke
4) Line up the trigger point marks ya made from the flywheel to case. (Turn the flywheel the correct direction)
5) Your @ TDC on the Compression stroke. Now set the valve lash
Tip: If ya want to make sure the piston is @ TDC stick a pencil down the S/P hole
Tip: If necessary, Wedge a piece of cardboard between the flywheel edge and case to keep the flywheel from moving while setting the lash.

It might take ya a few tries to get the lash correct. Because when ya tighten the valve lash adjustment nut it might change the lash setting.
You'll get the hang of it after a few times
Tip: Never use loctite on valve adjustments

When the lash is correct the feeler gauge will slip in with no resistance and the next size up feeler gauge won't fit in, or fit in very tight.

6) How to check your work - The reason for this is to make sure ya didn't set the lash on the wrong stroke.
With S/P out turn over engine a few times then put piston back @ TDC on the compression stroke. Check the lash.
Your Done

4 strokes = 2 rotations of the flywheel
1) Intake Stroke - Piston moves down the intake valve is open exhaust valve is closed
2) Compression Stroke - Piston moves up @ TDC (actually 17* or 23* before TDC) Spark ignition. IN & EX valves Closed (set valve lash)
3) Power Stroke - Ignition piston moves down. IN & EX valves closed
4) Exhaust stroke - Piston moves up the exhaust valve is open intake valve is closed

No insult intended, but I had to watch your video one more time I needed a good "ball park Idea" laugh :LOL:

I would like to see your pusher creation run again (y)

Last edited:
thank you Wrench. that is very generous.... Mind you, i did have that pusher trailer working last year before the axle broke.

I will take your advice on setting the proper lash.
of course no insult taken... lol. i thought it was funny too now that you mention it regarding the ball park idea looking back cause i made the video 1 year ago...
thanks wrench again lol

The only draw back of running too tight of lash on the valves is when the motor heats up the lash gets less and the valves are open all the time. The motor will just loose compression and quit. And ya be all confused why.

The only draw back of running too tight of lash on the valves is when the motor heats up the lash gets less and the valves are open all the time. The motor will just loose compression and quit. And ya be all confused why.

Thermal expansion, just let it cool off then ya can ride another 5 miles :LOL:

Yes It's not a good idea to set the lash under .004" and the exhaust valve lash should be set .001" or .002" larger than the intake lash to allow for thermal expansion

Best to follow the manufactures valve lash Specs.

Last edited:
The pusher trailer idea looks awesome,,, there was a fellow in Western Canada that built one for his bike...

He would zip along down the hwy from town,,, stuff the trailer into the trees hidden,,, then he would pedal along on the road and ditches too pick up bottles and cans...

He deffinatly needed that pusher engine at the end of the day too get 4 or 7 large bag fulls of empties back too town...

He would be seen 30 too 40 miles from town picking bottles,,, he would also use this pusher engine for weekend trips riding the gravel roads in the mountains...
He would fill the basket on the cart with rocks so it would stay planted on the road...

And away he would go,,, he had it geared down for slow sight seeing,,, idling along,,, taking in life,,, and relaxing the days away...
His pedal bike was free too do what ever in the small town he lived in,,, he was in fairly good shape...

He had power pole legs that would propel his pedal bike like nothing ,,, one tuff cooky he was... I'm sure hes still at it...

Huuuuuum,,,, now this idea gets me thinking,,, instead of a pusher,,, I'd like too try a puller...
Alot less chances of getting run over by the cart if its up front... Ha...

Are there other people on the forum that have these pusher units...

What are more of the pros and cons of this...

Goosh,,, a pedal bike that gets too remain a pedal bike,,, and a power assist package too motor it along when we need it...

I would definitely add a long rubber hose too the air intake too pervent sucking in dirt from the back wheel into the engine...

Yes too broken drive alxe shaft,,, it would be wize too get a rear axle assembly from a wrecked ATV with tires and brakes,,, shock included,,, then mount the engine sideways too deliver the power...

A floater pusher trailer...

Intresting idea for sure,,, add a quick clamp throttle so we can break away from the trailer unit fast...

So,,, what are some of these pros and cons if I may ask...

Don

The pusher trailer idea looks awesome,,, there was a fellow in Western Canada that built one for his bike...

He would zip along down the hwy from town,,, stuff the trailer into the trees hidden,,, then he would pedal along on the road and ditches too pick up bottles and cans...

He deffinatly needed that pusher engine at the end of the day too get 4 or 7 large bag fulls of empties back too town...

He would be seen 30 too 40 miles from town picking bottles,,, he would also use this pusher engine for weekend trips riding the gravel roads in the mountains...
He would fill the basket on the cart with rocks so it would stay planted on the road...

And away he would go,,, he had it geared down for slow sight seeing,,, idling along,,, taking in life,,, and relaxing the days away...
His pedal bike was free too do what ever in the small town he lived in,,, he was in fairly good shape...

He had power pole legs that would propel his pedal bike like nothing ,,, one tuff cooky he was... I'm sure hes still at it...

Huuuuuum,,,, now this idea gets me thinking,,, instead of a pusher,,, I'd like too try a puller...
Alot less chances of getting run over by the cart if its up front... Ha...

Are there other people on the forum that have these pusher units...

What are more of the pros and cons of this...

Goosh,,, a pedal bike that gets too remain a pedal bike,,, and a power assist package too motor it along when we need it...

I would definitely add a long rubber hose too the air intake too pervent sucking in dirt from the back wheel into the engine...

Yes too broken drive alxe shaft,,, it would be wize too get a rear axle assembly from a wrecked ATV with tires and brakes,,, shock included,,, then mount the engine sideways too deliver the power...

A floater pusher trailer...

Intresting idea for sure,,, add a quick clamp throttle so we can break away from the trailer unit fast...

So,,, what are some of these pros and cons if I may ask...

Don
i built it and it racked up 40 miles before the axle broke and i had put this project on long term hold status, meaning ill fix it sometime in the long term future...

Pro:
- you can fit a big engine in the back, like no difference if its a 6hp predator, 10hp, 30hp, 200hp... you get the point. not limited by frame size.
- looks pretty sick.
- legal loop holes exempt pushers from motorbike laws as the engine is not in the frame but in a secondary unit.
- unlimited range (gas). could make an electric pusher and could like 300 pounds of batteries in the back, with no limits on bike frame size etc.

Cons:
- poorer manuevirability.
- more engineering. you must design a hitch so the pusher is free to turn with the bike...
- potential ability for trailer sway back and forth side to side. This happened to mine because the wheels was off balanced and too big, i tried a 25" diameter tire in the back and it was very unstable when decellerating or accelerating.
- one of my builds with the larger 25" tire at first would only go in a straight line and to turn, you had to lean a bit cause the trailer wanted to go in a straight line.
- This problem was resolved by downgrading to a 20" sized tire.
- 10-13" tires work flawlessly on pusher trailers but decrease speed cause gear ratios
- potential axle breakage. ---> solution 1.5" cold rolled steel custom axle.
- potential increase in building time cause more fabircation.
- on turns you should downgrade speed.

Ill show you how the hitch was designed... has 2 degrees of freedom, x side to side for turning, y up down for road bumps
click here

Completed pusher here:

Last edited:
Do like most people, don’t post information about stuff they don’t know about.

Yes, I know nothing about what you stated.

That’s why I don’t post about it.

we can talk about subjective morality and something like absurdism but you make a weak case. see my signature "My Freedom of Speech is protected by Article 19 of the Human Rights Act (UN) and the United States Constitution."

Last edited:
Thanks for the feed back B4L...

I like the idea of on the build...

What a great way too take on the task and get it running...

Good on you for taking this on,,, it definitely gives me some ideas...

Don

This guy made pusher with a 212 - Notice what he did.
Notice how close the frame is to the Wheel (y)
I took some pics for ya I couldn't get the youtube video to load

DSCF3255.JPG
DSCF3256.JPG
DSCF3257.JPG
DSCF3259.JPG
DSCF3264.JPG
DSCF3265.JPG
DSCF3266.JPG
DSCF3269.JPG
DSCF3270.JPG
DSCF3271.JPG
DSCF3263.JPG