Hey guys

I'm using straight mountain bike handlebars on mine. If going shift kit the internal hubs are much easier since the chain never goes out of alignment.

I couldn’t figure out how the throttle and electric shifter would work on the same side

Electric shifter? You mean like the n171 dev kit? If you meant the regular shifter I put my 3 speed twist shifter on the left side upside-down. Took a couple rides to get used to the backwards shifting.

You have a Royce frame? Use that frame, take the wheels off the cranny. Junk the coaster brake and you're good to go. That frame has front suspension and the brakes are already there.
I’ll check it out tomorrow but I think the suspension is shot. Someone stole my bike and left the one they had a few years ago.

Electric shifter? You mean like the n171 dev kit? If you meant the regular shifter I put my 3 speed twist shifter on the left side upside-down. Took a couple rides to get used to the backwards shifting.
Lol fair enough.

You have a Royce frame? Use that frame, take the wheels off the cranny. Junk the coaster brake and you're good to go. That frame has front suspension and the brakes are already there.
I'm not sure but I think that royce is made of aluminum and might not have sufficient space. It also has a weird downtube shape.

I'm not sure but I think that royce is made of aluminum and might not have sufficient space. It also has a weird downtube shape.
He still has other options there, and reuse that fork, they all have brakes. My 4X bike is aluminum, I'd have to crash pretty hard to break it.

He still has other options there, and reuse that fork, they all have brakes.
If that fork has a 1" steerer then it is good to go as long as the length is good. That seat is better and if it's a 1" headset all other parts there are better than the cranberry parts.
My 4X bike is aluminum, I'd have to crash pretty hard to break it.
Aluminum will work harden and shatter for no reason other than vibration, doesn't have to be a crash or pothole. Wiki page and direct quote:
"Aluminum
Devices made from aluminum and its alloys, such as aircraft, must be carefully designed to minimize or evenly distribute flexure, which can lead to work hardening and, in turn, stress cracking, possibly causing catastrophic failure. For this reason modern aluminum aircraft will have an imposed working lifetime (dependent upon the type of loads encountered), after which the aircraft must be retired."
Beware of aluminum, it will fail suddenly with no warning beforehand unless you xray your frame after every use. The best you can do is perfectly balance the engine with safe timing and roll on/off your throttle/brakes as easy as you can and never ride on bumpy roads. Even with all those measures the frame will snap one day without putting it under major stress.

Last edited:
The $125 bike I was going to buy via Facebook for $80 (in the house) vs the bike I bought for $60 with no negotiation from my local pawn shop
The only way I would have gone with the mountain bike is if it had a rear disc brake, then you could have added a 6 bolt sprocket and not had to use a rag joint, I just don’t trust those things, my next bike is gonna be something like a Kent nazz but I’ll change out the handlebars as well I don’t see drop bats being conducive to comfortable riding.

Back