Hit by a truck today!

I hear ya.....very sad.

too late R*chard
Blame the parents?.....Blame the lack of helmet?..... SHEESH!!!!
bicycle vs. SUV...head on......no helmet in the world would save ya!
borrow some compassion, stealthc9....geez
again like I said, the child shouldn't have been riding un supervised on a busy road like that. I feel bad to hear it, but when i was 9 if I was caught riding near a busy road like that, or riding with no helmet etc. My butt would be blistered so bad i couldn't sit on it.
Yes the lady was distracted, but honestly we don't know exactly what happend, the little girl could have fallen, yes the women is at fault because she was on her cell phone. but what if she were using a blue tooth headset? she'd still be on the phone but using a bluetooth headset is LEGAL.

just because the bicycle was hit head on doesn't mean the vehicle touched the little girl. The bicycle could have been hit, she was propelled and landed on her head.

anyhow that's not the issue at hand. People are always gonna be on there phone...always, unfortunately...and i don't drive any more my only mode of transport is on bike

thats my last post on this matter because my view is far different from others. i look at the truths, and thats it. many things could have prevented her death.

You don't know for sure that a helmet would have saved her life. (Maybe she would have lived, but would have been paralyzed for life, or left brain dead in a coma?)
We do know that if the truck didn't drift into the bicycle lane, nothing would have happened. Case closed.

Personally - I don't see why people are yapping on their mobile phones as much as they do. For business, OK - but the majority of people are yapping with friends or family. That kind of chit-chat is not so urgent that it needs to be carried out on a mobile phone.

I gotta give stealth some props here for making a comment like that because the sad truth is that way of thought when looking at an accident like this is pretty common.
Yes most don't have the courage to say what stealth said,but as drivers every one of us has been distracted in one way or another.
Which is why I get so angry when licensed drivers can't do a simple maneuver like parallel parking or looking right for pedestrians as well as left for a clearing when making a right turn on red or using a turn signal. That there are real &^%$^$ out there that really shouldn't be on the road.
So what's to happen from this? Sadly,we are gonna see this as an accident. Were not gonna see this as yet another driver that cannot drive because that's more than half of all drivers on the roads right now.

You don't know for sure that a helmet would have saved her life. (Maybe she would have lived, but would have been paralyzed for life, or left brain dead in a coma?)
We do know that if the truck didn't drift into the bicycle lane, nothing would have happened. Case closed.

Personally - I don't see why people are yapping on their mobile phones as much as they do. For business, OK - but the majority of people are yapping with friends or family. That kind of chit-chat is not so urgent that it needs to be carried out on a mobile phone.

ok screw it, you have a scared fellow officer (that is under you in rank) that doesnt want to get off the phone because they are scared and want to let you know every second what there location is, as u drive to them from 26miles away. I'm sorry, i stayed on the phone in that incident was i suppose to get off the phone and potentially not know where an officer was in the middle of an armed incident as they are an unarmed officer? Like I will state again many people do many things for many reason! You don't know if she would have lived or died from wearing a helmet but WHAT I DO KNOW IS! Had the parents made sure that lil girl was not riding on a busy road had the suv drifted into the bike lane or not. if the little girl wasnt there it wouldn't have happend? who's to say the person isn't just a crummy driver with or without cell phone??

she may be charged with the death of a child, but when it goes to trial, a good lawyer is going to argue just what I did. apparently she stopped and called 911, i would have no arguement if she hit and ran. But she stopped i'm sure she feels horrible and she probably admitted to being on her cell phone.

now that is my last comment

AGAIN TOM I'm Glad ur Ok

If she gets a light sentence for this,it will show everyone that a bicyclist is nothing and would even go as far as saying that bicyclists don't belong on the road bike lane or not.
I'm gonna follow this story.

I come from the camp that there is no such thing as a car "accident", and that in all situations a collision is something that is avoidable. Sure, this girl could have been wearing a helmet that night, and she could have been riding WITH traffic (safer) rather than against it... and the woman driving could have been behind the wheel of a smaller car and not talking on her phone... But we all need to keep in mind that she did not leave the house that day with the intention of running down a child. Circumstances have an unfortunate habit of piling up and leading to situations like this. Circumstances like the helmet, the phone, and even just the time of day. It's never just one thing or another, but a combination of several, and that's how it passes under our radar. And as always, hindsight is 20/20.

As bicyclists, it's easy for us to call for this woman's head because we're constantly at threat by distracted, oblivious and dangerous drivers... But the reality is, regardless of what she's charged with and what punishment the courts hand down, it won't change the fact that we'll still always be at threat by reckless drivers. One woman punished for a horribly tragic turn of events will never affect others, quite simply because nobody can ever picture themselves being in a situation like that. It doesn't even enter into consideration. Who wants to imagine themselves killing another person? You and I consider it all the time I'm sure, but only because we're always on the business end of those SUV bumpers. The best thing we can do is be advocates for safety amongst our own in terms of riding those things responsibly, and try to impress that lesson upon those who share our road on four wheels.

At the end of the day, this woman will probably get charged with nothing more than vehicular manslaughter by gross negligence, and get off with a suspended sentence. Hopefully she'll have to do community service and speak to children about the dangers of not wearing helmets, and also to adults who have to go to traffic school about the dangers of not paying attention to the road.

P.S. Did anybody else notice this was a year old thread?

Yes but I didn't want to start a new one. Sometimes it's better to add to an existing thread.
Here's an update to that mess. The little girl died on Thanksgiving and they STILL don't know what charges IF ANY this woman will face.
I tell you,man. Attitudes about driving and who is allowed to drive needs to change. For real.

http://www.denverpost.com/commented/ci_11102246?source=commented-

Charges weighed in bicyclist's death in Fort Collins
By The Associated Press
Updated: 11/29/2008 03:00 PM

FORT COLLINS — Police and prosecutors are meeting next week to decide whether to charge a driver suspected of talking on her cellphone when she hit and fatally injured a 9-year-old girl on her bike.
Erica Forney died on Thanksgiving after being hospitalized for two days. Her family says they may announce plans for a memorial service in the coming days.
Police say the girl was not wearing a helmet, and witnesses reported that she was going the wrong way on a bike line on her way home from school Tuesday. Police say a woman driving an sport utility vehicle drifted into the bike lane and hit Forney.
Larimer County District Attorney Larry Abrahamson says he could not comment on the case but confirmed he will discuss next week whether charges are warranted.

this is gonna sound like a wacko idea, but I'm serious; all roads, even the very busiest (interstates excepted) should be wide open to children. And when they step onto that road, then all traffic should stop and only go by at the very lowest speeds. Perhaps 2 mph. For those drivers who want to try to intimidate the kids as they pass, then we'll start with a suspended license. And let's go right up to serious imprisonment for those who don't get the message.

For those who don't like it; find another way to get where you're going. A bicycle is one good possibility.

I've always resented the fact that our kids can play in the yard, but if they step across that line out front, then a violent instant death (or lifelong maiming) is a real possibility.
I've wondered how a society that is pleased to call itself civilized can tolerate such a situation. Heck, it's even worse than that; few people even recognize it as a problem.
You can see it in the folks who say, "she shouldn't have been on that road in the first place" and in the girl who killed a bicyclist and resents him for ruining her life.

I know my view is extreme. It's a reaction to the extreme abuse of the automobile and of the human being in our society.

I think your view is quite sane,goat. It's the ones that differ I need to question.
I'm still spinning here how there HAS TO BE A MEETING to see IF THEIR BRAINS WORK!
I feel like I'm in the Twilight Zone.

Back