Honda 35 vs. Robin 33

What type kit are you running there, Old Bob?

25+ years in manufacturing: a qualified toolmaker,welder, CNC programmer, Autocad and Solidworks experience, SME member.
I designed my own.

Got a picture of your motorized bike?

Why don't I just give the copy cats on ebay and in china a set of blueprints?

Without Pictures, it's all just hearsay.

Not all here need pictures and can read what is being said.

Have you ever tried to approach a big corporation with an idea? They will ONLY accept patented ideas via US Post. There is a reason for this and anyone that is in the know about how the industrial world operates is smart to not play their hand any other way.

This is not just a hobby for some of the posters here, but there is no reason why one can't become involved in helping others define what is perhaps in store for the future of Motor Assist Bicycling and what to do with what is available today.

I laughed at this. A few years ago I would have said bob was paranoid but Ive had too many friends had their ideas stolen.

I've had this happen, depending on the product and the market the copying is rampant.
Fortunatly for me I headed off one guy who had stupidly announced his intentions of buying one of my products for the sole purpose of copying on another forum. Guess he didn't think I don't watch the forums.
When he contacted me to purchase the item I gave him the url to his post and said no sale.:devilish:

Ive never seen a honda in my life that was a piece of junk unless it wasnt taken care of. Same goes for R/S. Subarus are some of the best built cars out there. Both are excellent motors.

Thanks everybody for your comments/thoughts about the different motors. Sounds like I can't go wrong with either.

I emailed staton and asked there advise too. They recommended Subaru. He also recommended I try their new axle mount...... I ordered both. I will start a new thread/review after I install and run it.

I emailed staton and asked there advise too. They recommended Subaru.

And THIS is the MB.relevance, that a few years ago R-S actively sought out the business, did the MB.r&d, and got in firstest and fastest.

Honda is an option because of the label, the name recognition, & not by any ground work they did in the MB.biz. A back door.

What I'm waiting to see is a 1,000 or 5,000 mile report on a Honda kit, because there are plenty in the Robin category, right from the beginning of the 4 stroke offerings.

Last edited:
Both engines were designed as lawn tools and thats what they are made for.R/S did not preclude it use as Honda did with a corporate policy on the engines end use.This is why R/S has more sales in the MB market.
Staton Ins was able to capitalize on this.

R-S actively sought out the business, did the MB.r&d,

can you substantiate this claim?

If Honda did not have a corporate policy of not allowing the mini four stroke engine family from being used on motor vehicles they would be the leader in the MB market. They still have this policy in effect and aren't back dooring anything as they have no interest in the MB,ped and rc markets.
I've put many miles on various Hondas, one GX31 has over 1800 miles on it running at rpm levels well above factory recommendations.

Last edited:
Back