Hooking Battery Charger & Lights to White Wire

Status
Not open for further replies.
on many new mags, the white wire is now a spare for ignition rather than a lighting wire

So the Mini-Gen is a must, more important than the charger even?

The seller of this battery charger on ebay explicitly states the following: "will operate without any interruption to the bike's ignition system whatsoever!"
So is this just a lie?

The seller also offers the 'Mini-Gen' generator to supposedly generate independent electricity to be used with the charger if you do not wish to use the white wire.
Another lie?

Does anyone have experience with these products? Are they worth the $50 plus shipping?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Special-Magneto-Coil-Charger-For-Motorized-Bicycles/400109389682?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649
https://www.ebay.com/itm/6-Volt-Ele...304267?hash=item5d285f79cb:g:E78AAOSwd4tT3v34
Not a single lie involved, you install another coil along side the magneto so you are powering a completely separate circuit, one failing has no effect on the other. Using the white wire, as pointed out above, takes from your actual ignition system since they are for the most part one in the same as the blue wire. If you overload the white wire you can either kill the mag or simply take so much power from the CDI that you would have a bad running bike.

It works too, so don't feel too apprehensive about buying one.

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
So the Mini-Gen is a must, more important than the charger even?
Not a must, but a nice touch, the battery is acting as a capacitor in between to keep a solid voltage on the lights, even if you turn off the motor you'll have lights and they don't get dim at an idle. I think a generic regulator and charging unit for a 12v battery for a moped or atv would also suffice for keeping a battery charged, but much cheaper. Don't quote me on it though since I've never been inside one of their products.

You're refering to the Mini-Gen, correct? Will it rob the engine of any performance? Or it is a contact-free mechanism? And if I understand correctly you're saying that this Mini-Gen should be hooked up to the battery and the battery to the lights (thus the battery serving as the capacitor). So this would not be charging the battery too? If so, what is the charger for?

Last edited:
what I usually see is a battery pack that unplugs for charging at home - large enough to run powerful lights for 6 to 8 hours

what I usually see is a battery pack that unplugs for charging at home - large enough to run powerful lights for 6 to 8 hours
But what's the fun in bicycle toys when an engine can do it all for you.

Oh wait I know, more complicated, prone to failure, and expense, darn things always getting in the way of other things.

I tried buying a mini volt generoator so would leave the rest alone it did not it still Rob the magneto lost another $30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back