How many here rode motorcycles first

Well let's see here....
1st bike was a 3.5hp Briggs powered minibike. I modded it to about 4.5 hp.
2nd one was a 4.0 hp Tecumpsa mini bike with dual suspension.
3rd '68 Hodaka ACE 100
4th another '70 ACE 100B+
5th '74 Hodaka Combat Wombat 125
6th '72 Butaco 250
7th '68 Yamaha GT80
8th '76 Honda MR175E (you could not kill it, probibly still running today)
9th '71 Montessa 250
10th '77 Yamaha DT400
11th '72 Kawasaki H2 (never did find the top speed, it rear steer wobbled around 140mph)
12th Suzuki TE125 (gutless pig)
13th '79 Yamaha XT500 (that thing would climb a telephone pole!)
14th '76 YZ400 (3rd gear wheelies with knobbies in the sand. whoo hoo!)
15th Harley MX90
16th and 17th 2x) Harley TX125's (both horrible gutless sloths)
18th 1990 Yamaha XT350 (another one that would not die)
19th 1980 Harley FXEF 80" punched out to 88"
20th 1955 Harley Model G Servicar
21nd 1980 Yamaha XV750
22 1981 Yamaha XS650
23rd another Hodaka ACE100 (can you tell I love Hodakas? :) )
24th 70's Steen 100

So yeah, I suppose I rode motorcycles before I owned an MB.
There is something about being on 2 wheels, riding in your environment not through it, that has always addicted me.
I am sure that most folks here know what I mean.

I just can't seem to be able to ride at less than WOT. On a big cycle that is quite fast and rather dangerous, on my MBs it is about 25-30 mph.

I started with BMX, Gravity Bikes, Mountain Bikes, Minibike, Motocross, before I got to Road Racers (RD400) and also the MB5.

What's nice about the limited powered bikes is that you CAN actually ride them near their limit and not die from it because the speeds are low enough.

In my EBRR (Electric Bicycle Road Racing) concept I want to build an electric bike that makes full use of the laws and is configurable for either legal street use (20 mph or 30 mph) or racetrack use on Go Cart tracks. The top speeds are going to be about 40 mph on the flat.

So I totally agree... you have to LOVE the limited power bikes to be here.

If you are addicted to power and always need more people ought to just go up to the motorcycle and stop bending the rules in this class. Give the class of limited powered bikes respect. (in my opinion)

Be proud of our limits, not ashamed or embarrassed...

Last edited:
If you are addicted to power and always need more people ought to just go up to the motorcycle and stop bending the rules in this class. Give the class of limited powered bikes respect. (in my opinion)

Be proud of our limits, not ashamed or embarrassed...

A big yes to that!
Be proud and glad because for the time being anyway, it's also what keeps it reasonable cost wise in regards regs and such.

I've owned a few mid size Japanese Bikes, they were fun, car drivers weren't !

I got into the M B concept because I want to be part of something that's growing, not dying [ like Worcester { a once proud city, with cycling heritage } ] I view the M B Industry as a good way to reviatilize local economies. Too many machine shops are idle today, no jobs I'd like to see some local talent get attention, and see newly formed companies prosper.

I've owned a few mid size Japanese Bikes, they were fun, car drivers weren't !

I got into the M B concept because I want to be part of something that's growing, not dying [ like Worcester { a once proud city, with cycling heritage } ] I view the M B Industry as a good way to reviatilize local economies. Too many machine shops are idle today, no jobs I'd like to see some local talent get attention, and see newly formed companies prosper.

An old thread I remember well, lol.

I like your thought a lot and would hope it could be done and done right. I know the heritage of which you speak and a part of this hobby I've also had fun with is studying the early days of the safety bicycle and the evolution of adding power assist to them.

A lot of that occurred here in the US, specifically in some of the mill towns that we know, and there was a lot in Europe as well. I love reading about the Cyclemotors and Velosolex used there. One good site on those early days and one I've spent a ton of time on is: http://under50cc.wordpress.com

Interesting, for example the French postal system used motorized bikes for mail delivery and IIRC had a couple thousand at one time in service. Small, efficient engines that could be made reliable and fit to bicycles but were NOT made to compete with motorcycles.

For sure had 5 dirt and street until my brother hit a big pine tree doing about 50 in 2009 and broke his leg and hand so my dad and brother desided to sell them, then after all settled we got mb's and love them as much or more.

'93 yamaha yz 250
2005 honda crf 150
'91 kawasaki kdx 250
'78 yamaha dt 400
'78 honda xl 175

Sure gets the grey matter sizzling.Remember when as a kid with bicycles always trying to imitate the sound of a motorcycle turned out to be a Harley.Used cards clipped to frame tubes flapping off the spokes,then moved up to balloons.Finally at 14 yrs old bought my first Harley 1937 EL 80 cu in.After a year traded for a 1948 45 Flathead,another year later traded it for a running Whizzer,along with another complete Whizzer all apart plus a third basket case.Since then have built and owned dozens of Harleys now own three of them.A couple of years ago picked up another Whizzer it is in the process of being restored.Motorbikes will always have a place in my shop.

Yes sir! I'm am building my first motorized bicycle, but I own a '09 Honda Rebel, a '82 Yamaha Seca, and I sometimes get the privaledge of riding my dad's '04 Harley Road King. My father has been riding since his 20's and got me riding as soon as I turned 16. I'm building my motorbike because I had a bicycle and a motor laying around xP

Good Luck motorizing your bicycle.I'm sure you realize if you try to hook a sprocket or pulley to the spokes like a Whizzer be careful unless you upgrade to a heavier set of spokes.One of my brothers did that and found out the hard way,he had several broken spokes shortly after his conversion.

Honestly, I'm more curious if anyone on here even rode bicycles before because I see some of the stupidest stuff on here sometimes...

Back