How many of have been hit by a car on a bike...

I have heart problems and live in the mountains. My state Tennessee, has a 50cc limit and an automatic transmission clause. I also weigh 250 lbs. Steep hills, large people and small engines means you need gears. This is what inspired me to build a motorized bicycle that shifts engine driven gears automatically. If I manually shifted, the reduction range could be made even wider and enabling even more speed but then I wouldn't be legal.

However speed wasn't my main objective for the build. The main objective was legality and efficiency.

Therefore the reduction range is currently 49.21-18.82:1 giving a speed of 28.8 mph on 26" tires using a 33cc 4 stroke at 7000 rpms on level ground. Tennessee allows up to 30 mph on level ground.

I'm in my late 50's enjoying my ride while being legal and safe is what's most important to me. After being on a cycling forum I quickly learned cycling myths I'd been taught were wrong. After changing these bad habits I've found my rides to be much more enjoyable and certainly much safer.

Since you weigh 250 I recommend going with the 66cc engine. It's almost impossible to know if it's 49cc or 66cc just by looking at it, unless the cop is into the hobby he won't know. Also, if they say 80cc the displacement is really 66cc, China has a different way of measuring it. Also, there are manual shift kits available for motorized bicycles.

Back