How Much Does An MB Really Cost?

How much do have into your "completed" MotoredBike?

• $200 or less

Votes: 9 12.0%
  • $300

Votes: 10 13.3%
  • $400

Votes: 7 9.3%
  • $500

Votes: 9 12.0%
  • $750

Votes: 14 18.7%
  • $1000

Votes: 10 13.3%
  • $1250

Votes: 3 4.0%
  • over $1250

Votes: 16 21.3%

• Total voters
a new 2005 silverado in my trim only gets 13 city and 16 highway, with the cam and 350k miles without a rebuild it does 10 city and 13-14 highway. there's more to 33 inch rubber than just size, they're not just 33 inch street tires. I live in a swamp and have rubber to match, and with that soft knobby rubber comes increased rolling resistance, and it sitting higher causes aerodynamic problems.
I still get 15 highway if I really baby it, but what fun is that? I don't throw a bunch of speed parts at a motor to putt around at 55.

Well I built a truck for a customer at work, '82 F150 like mine but long wheel base work truck dropped a 5.0 Coyote out of a wrecked 2012 Mustang. Also threw in a overdrive transmission with the stock 3.55:1 gears out back. Sure we lowered his truck at his request to prevent the truck lifting up under acceleration. Was a bad mistake as stepping on the throttle causes the truck to rock back and forth due to the drop beams in the front. The stiffer shocks we installed few months ago helped but not all the way. Anyways that fuel injected 430 HP engine in this body style of truck which has horrible aerodynamics was putting down 17 MPG city. Your 4.8L doesn't put out that kind of power and the gear ratio you have reduces the amount of work your engine/transmission has to do with your taller tires so the fuel consumption with the taller tires is negated by the lower gearing. Your claim of soft knobby rubber tires increasing rolling resistance, no offroad tire ive seen had a soft rubber compound that is used for race cars as soft rubber compound bites concrete and asphalt better. Your tires will be just like my BFG 31x10.50-15`s on my truck which is going to be around a 4 ply Kevlar based tire that has a fairly stout rubber compound.

In the end if you are getting that horrible of gas mileage you might as well get a old carbed truck and go with that cause youd get better gas mileage than you are getting now. Which is odd cause these LS based engines get pretty damn good fuel economy. The 2012 my dad has is equipped with the 4.8L and the dash display shows an average between city and highway driving is right around 18 mpg. We drive it quite a bit out of town on the highway doing 80 - 90 mph so that's why I find it extremely hard to believe that your truck is getting 10 mpg city when most carbed muscle cars were getting 12 mpg city.

Well I built a truck for a customer at work, '82 F150 like mine but long wheel base work truck dropped a 5.0 Coyote out of a wrecked 2012 Mustang. Also threw in a overdrive transmission with the stock 3.55:1 gears out back. Sure we lowered his truck at his request to prevent the truck lifting up under acceleration. Was a bad mistake as stepping on the throttle causes the truck to rock back and forth due to the drop beams in the front. The stiffer shocks we installed few months ago helped but not all the way. Anyways that fuel injected 430 HP engine in this body style of truck which has horrible aerodynamics was putting down 17 MPG city. Your 4.8L doesn't put out that kind of power and the gear ratio you have reduces the amount of work your engine/transmission has to do with your taller tires so the fuel consumption with the taller tires is negated by the lower gearing. Your claim of soft knobby rubber tires increasing rolling resistance, no offroad tire ive seen had a soft rubber compound that is used for race cars as soft rubber compound bites concrete and asphalt better. Your tires will be just like my BFG 31x10.50-15`s on my truck which is going to be around a 4 ply Kevlar based tire that has a fairly stout rubber compound.

In the end if you are getting that horrible of gas mileage you might as well get a old carbed truck and go with that cause youd get better gas mileage than you are getting now. Which is odd cause these LS based engines get pretty damn good fuel economy. The 2012 my dad has is equipped with the 4.8L and the dash display shows an average between city and highway driving is right around 18 mpg. We drive it quite a bit out of town on the highway doing 80 - 90 mph so that's why I find it extremely hard to believe that your truck is getting 10 mpg city when most carbed muscle cars were getting 12 mpg city.
Your missing two very important factors 1.It's all in how you drive it if he's lead footed off every light like me and many others then yes poor mileage! 2.Did he not say it was a high mileage engine with a performance cam again poor mileage!

Your missing two very important factors 1.It's all in how you drive it if he's lead footed off every light like me and many others then yes poor mileage! 2.Did he not say it was a high mileage engine with a performance cam again poor mileage!
My milage is probably hurting with the overdrive gear engaged in my truck about 70% of the time... Wot doesn't help either...

I already went and said I don't throw speed parts at a motor to do 55. some people just read what they want to read I think

Nice. I am seriously thinking of building up a stroker 351W for my '78 when I get around to restoring her. Think it would be fitting to have a street build stroker and considering there is a guy right now making hemi heads for the old 289-302-351w engines I might be buying those for my truck or my mercury depending on price and on what size valves/port volume they are offered in. High rpm is fine with larger valves and ports but I hate to change my gearing as I like how they cruise. Much rather just build the engine to make more power in said rpm range to boost fuel economy by improving power to weight ratio.

I think for my mercury big reason she gets 18 city when she was running is cause she still has the functional load sensor on the inner fender which is a primitive map sensor. It senses engine vacuum and advances the ignition timing more than the duraspark II module does to improve fuel economy for no to low load situations. I know it functions cause at idle with no vacuum hooked up engine baseline is set at 14* BTDC, with dist vacuum its pushing 20* BTDC timing and with this load sensor on at idle it shoots up to almost 40* BTDC at idle.

My cousin has a AC Cobra replica with a Windsor 427 stroker and an aftermarket 5 speed.
Lots of piston noise, but OMG does it go. Sit down, shaddup and hang on!
My cheeks hurt for a month from the big goofy smile I had on.
14910332_1443304515698114_3954217069059069356_n.jpg

14910412_1443417919020107_1401067347942038667_n.jpg

I used to do a lot of work on vacuum and mechanical advance to get the most I could out of the old carbed engines. A good advance curve could completely change the feel of an engine.

For those who don't know, the advance curve of a piped 2 stroke is completely different and almost opposite to a 4 stroke.

Last edited:
Bulls**t. I installed a hot rod LS motor thing is a 5.3 punched to a 6.0 displacement and has a beating ass cam that we had to put a 2500 rpm stall in it just so it wouldn't slam into gear. Truck gets 16 mpg in a '72 C10 pickup with a flat brick front end. Still fuel injection reguardless of the cam is supposed to get better gas mileage than a carburetor as the computer fine tunes the fuel mixture to maintain it better than a carb does which is nothing more than a venturi that creates a low pressure area and pulls the fuel in based off air flow. This dumps into the intake manifold not a fine mist spray of fuel in each intake runner right when the cylinder is opening the valve.

Its way more efficient. As far as high mileage, you should see the ragged out POS trucks we get in that is leaking oil and has low oil pressure. Replace the O ring for the oil pick up tube oil pressure 9 times out of 10 comes back up and is good to go. These trucks are pushing 200 and 400k miles as they are hot shot drivers. I can check the average mileage in the computer and they are around 15 - 16 mpg average.

But hey if you want to believe that high mileage and a performance roller cam is going to drop fuel economy on a fuel injected motor to 10 mpg or less hey be my guest but its bulls**t in the end.

Now if he is getting 10 mpg and he has a cam in it he should really pay someone to tune the ecm on it and he would get better gas mileage cause if he had no programing done his fuel mixture based off the cam might be so out in left field it is wasting fuel.

My cousin has a AC Cobra replica with a Windsor 427 stroker and an aftermarket 5 speed.
Lots of piston noise, but OMG does it go. Sit down, shaddup and hang on!
My cheeks hurt for a month from the big goofy smile I had on.
14910332_1443304515698114_3954217069059069356_n.jpg

14910412_1443417919020107_1401067347942038667_n.jpg

I used to do a lot of work on vacuum and mechanical advance to get the most I could out of the old carbed engines. A good advance curve could completely change the feel of an engine.

For those who don't know, the advance curve of a piped 2 stroke is completely different and almost opposite to a 4 stroke.

I was actually at one time looking at investing in the FFR Type 65 Coupe. Everyone goes for the Cobra replicas and the Coupe is different and I also like the whole nose tilting so the engine is easier to work on. Down side is the Type 65 is limited to the 289-302-351W engine family unlike the Cobra that you can drop a FE big block in up to a 460 cid.

For my plan I wanted to build it as a road racer so I was looking at a 302 roller build but assembled in a way to look like a hi-po 289 even though its a fox body era roller 302 block. Goal was to have the engine capable of 7,500 rpm and throw behind the engine a TKO500 five speed with a 3.27ish axle out back. My reasoning for that is road course racing I would be using 3rd and 4th gear and the 5th gear over drive allows me to lug the engine down on highway for better fuel economy. Down side is I am afraid a 3.27:1 axle with over drive might be too much for even highway use. But with a 300ish hp 302 and a 5 spd pushing 2700 lbs roughly should be capable of 180 with no problem.

Bulls**t. I installed a hot rod LS motor thing is a 5.3 punched to a 6.0 displacement and has a beating ass cam that we had to put a 2500 rpm stall in it just so it wouldn't slam into gear. Truck gets 16 mpg in a '72 C10 pickup with a flat brick front end. Still fuel injection reguardless of the cam is supposed to get better gas mileage than a carburetor as the computer fine tunes the fuel mixture to maintain it better than a carb does which is nothing more than a venturi that creates a low pressure area and pulls the fuel in based off air flow. This dumps into the intake manifold not a fine mist spray of fuel in each intake runner right when the cylinder is opening the valve.

Its way more efficient. As far as high mileage, you should see the ragged out POS trucks we get in that is leaking oil and has low oil pressure. Replace the O ring for the oil pick up tube oil pressure 9 times out of 10 comes back up and is good to go. These trucks are pushing 200 and 400k miles as they are hot shot drivers. I can check the average mileage in the computer and they are around 15 - 16 mpg average.

But hey if you want to believe that high mileage and a performance roller cam is going to drop fuel economy on a fuel injected motor to 10 mpg or less hey be my guest but its bulls**t in the end.

Now if he is getting 10 mpg and he has a cam in it he should really pay someone to tune the ecm on it and he would get better gas mileage cause if he had no programing done his fuel mixture based off the cam might be so out in left field it is wasting fuel.
I don't think your thinking this through or reading all that was said!It really does depend on how you drive it that's a simple known fact!These bikes aren't any different If I just cruise no heavy acceleration then yes I can achive high mileage but as soon as I start gunning it off the lights and holding more throttle the mileage drops in half!

Oh my f***ing goodness, don't you understand he doesn't use speed limit signs for anything but target practice? He's got a lead freaking foot, doesn't matter if it's a prius or a hummer, the heavier the foot the more gas it takes to go from point a to point b.

Back