HT engine mounting on huffy cranbrook

So the clamp system on the pink frame does not work? Did i miss something?

Yes.... The clamp on the pink frame is from a vendor and will be just fine. The second picture is a mount I made without the muffler clamp installed. If you go back to my previous post you will see (2) pictures (attachments) that the muffler clamp supplied is not worth a darn. The clamp doesn't have enough threads and will bottom out against the engine case before it gets tightened. In this case you would most likely need a stick of all thread and bend it to conform to the bracket.

Front mount

So Al, Looks like the best way to do my front mount is to make it custom to fit the bike. Thats not really a problem for me as I make things like that all the time. (My friends call me "Bracket Man"). I was just trying to take the easy way this time. Depending on where I want the engine to fit in the frame will determine the shape and design of the mount. So I thank you for your generous offer but it looks like I will have to make it myself. I'll take pic's of it when I'm done.
Big Red.

So Al, Looks like the best way to do my front mount is to make it custom to fit the bike. Thats not really a problem for me as I make things like that all the time. (My friends call me "Bracket Man"). I was just trying to take the easy way this time. Depending on where I want the engine to fit in the frame will determine the shape and design of the mount. So I thank you for your generous offer but it looks like I will have to make it myself. I'll take pic's of it when I'm done.
Big Red.

Good for you, although not everyone has the knowledge, tools or the time to make parts for a engine. First thing when mounting a engine to a frame is to mount the engine (rear mount) on the seat down tube (at the correct height needed), this way you will have a flush fit. Then go to the front engine mount. Here are some ideas if you haven't seen them already.
http://s982.photobucket.com/albums/ae309/Ron-Becker/Engine Mounting/
I have seen other mounts that are by far, (looking at them), nicer. But I don't have the tools (mill or lathe) to make them.

Mount

Yeah Al, I've found that if you want something that no one really makes, you have to figure out how to make it yourself. I have a very simple design in mind that I think will work just fine. I'll have to mount the rear first to find out EXACTLY how long, how deep, ect. to make it. I'm not very good at my Paint program but it will be shaped something like this. One side will be longer to bypass the "no room to tighten" problem.
Big Red.

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    6.2 KB · Views: 252
Yeah Al, I've found that if you want something that no one really makes, you have to figure out how to make it yourself. I have a very simple design in mind that I think will work just fine. I'll have to mount the rear first to find out EXACTLY how long, how deep, ect. to make it. I'm not very good at my Paint program but it will be shaped something like this. One side will be longer to bypass the "no room to tighten" problem.
Big Red.

You're right..."not very good at my Paint program" .....:>) I'm not much better either. :>(

I'd like a finished product picture before installing it on the engine...thanks

I'm trying to figure this one out???? "One side will be longer to bypass the "no room to tighten" problem". I don't think it will have to be offset... the no room to tighten the clamp only occurs with a flat plate (as pictured above in post #9 "attached thumbnails") and the clamp (opening) threads facing the case. Also I personally don't like for the clamp curved end crushing the tube.

Last edited:
Mount.

I'm sure you're right about the "ROOM" problem Al. Thats why ya gotta put it on the bike to see. I think it's gonna be snugger and without the twisting effect that most clamps have. It will be a raised mount so it will sit higher in the frame. How much I raise it depends on bolt mount clearence and head/spark plug clearence. Also, Theres a reason they sell the bigger frame mount kits. On a cruiser the frame is usually wider. I'll figure out where it fits best and make the mount to fit. But your right, On a raised mount I shouldn't have the bolt clearence issue.

You're right..."not very good at my Paint program" .....:>) I'm not much better either. :>(

I'd like a finished product picture before installing it on the engine...thanks

I'm trying to figure this one out???? "One side will be longer to bypass the "no room to tighten" problem". I don't think it will have to be offset... the no room to tighten the clamp only occurs with a flat plate (as pictured above in post #9 "attached thumbnails") and the clamp (opening) threads facing the case. Also I personally don't like for the clamp curved end crushing the tube.
I re-read yer post. WHAT is this "crushing the tube" issue? It doesn't sound like something I want to do. Please explain.
Big Red.

If you tighten the clamp like this one is installed.., the tube can crush, not so much on a cruiser but on other frames. I like to reverse the clamp (curved end over the mount), but the guy I made this bike for (he installed the muffler clamp) said let it go. I don't tighten the rear mounts tighter then 50 INCH pounds. This can be problematic (engine twist) so I made this bracket....now the engine can't twist due to torque.

Last edited:
As I've done four of these things so far, perhaps I ought to post some shots as to how it's done... I will get some shots this weekend.
the Old Sgt.

Back