HT engine mounting on huffy cranbrook

Huffy Cranbrook

As I've done four of these things so far, perhaps I ought to post some shots as to how it's done... I will get some shots this weekend.
the Old Sgt.
I was wondering when you were gonna jump into this thread Sarge? If you look real close at your album you can see how your mounts were done. Some close up's wouldn't hurt though.
It looks like I'm gonna make my own front mount bracket because I want to do a double U-bolt on it. The extra distance in the frame on cruisers equals more leverage in the engine twist. I don't think there's much to do about the rear mount, But if anyone has a more solid way to mount the rear I'd sure like to see it.
I FINALLY picked up my bike tonight. Walmart e-mailed me to say it was "Lost" in shipping. Lost my a$$, One of their workers "Lost" it off the back of the truck. So I went down and pitched a B!##h about how my grandson wont have a Christmas now because one of their workers stole my bike. They finally let me have it in store for the online sale price.
LOST IN SHIPPING, RIGHT!!! How could this possibly happen? Let's see.... So, The truck driver stopped for a smoke break. My bike, getting bored, decided at this time to go for a walk. and then finding itself in an unfamilier neighborhood, couldn't find it's way back to the truck. If anyone sees a 26" men's Blue Huffy Cranbrook wandering around looking "Lost" Please call Big Red. A poor little lost Huffy Cranbrook is looking for me.
Big Red.

Since the Huffy Cranbrick went to 12 gauge spokes in 2010 (the year I bought mine) and did better welding, I suspect that a new subgroup of discussion dedicated to this particular bike in conjunction with the little riceburner sewing machine engine is in order. They are cheap, easy to work on, 350lb payload capacity with plenty of room for our favorite faithless Chinese Hussy*, the 'Happy Times' ... and the newest models have black chainguards and fenders so the tank and chainguard of the motor kit fit right in. BEWARE THE GREEN BIKES! Those are the 2009 models and they are deathtraps WITHOUT the motor! Hey Big Red- just saw this thread tonight, the water looked good so I jumped right in. Currently cutting a mounting tool to cut a larger hole in the HT sprocket to fit the Huffy Hub- there will be pix on that as well.
the Old Sgt.
*Why is it a Hussy?
1) you always spend money on her
2) you can only scr%w around with her
3) the b!tch is never faithful
4) we love her anyways

PS- measure your holes, drill them, mount the front plate adaptor to the engine first THEN mount the engine to the exhaust pipe clamp. The newer Grubee motor kits have enlarged fore and aft slots, they fit perfectly... BUT... you have to lop off the upper screw mount on the seatpost, the one for the water holder- knock it off with a cold chisel and file that portion smooth. You can drop the engine right down to the chainguard. I've never had an issue with lateral torque with my mounts, I used dead innertube between mount and frame and NEVER drill a hole to mount an engine. Cut to precise shape and glue to the mount with contact cement- they won't slide that way. Do NOT glue to the bike! I guess I'll show the process next time I do it- currently there are three more bikes to go, one on hold while a master pin-stripes the fenders, chainguards and tank. THAT will start after Christmas.
the Old Sgt.

Cranbrook

Pin-stripes huh? I'll be lucky if I can just color coordinate the tank and engine chain guard. The dark blue shouldn't be too hard to match. I think the off white would be much harder to match. I do like your bike, but if I painted my tank to match the white it would look like your bike. No offence meant Sarge, your bike looks great, I just gotta make it mine.
I've made a lot of different mounts so I know whats involved. The first mount I ever made didn't fit right and put way too much stress on the engine studs. I've learned a lot since that time. It has to fit like it was made for it, If you know what I mean. Also, believe it or not, This is the very first BRAND NEW bike I've ever owned so I'm gonna do it right. I've always found I could get a good quality used bike than a lesser quality new bike for the same money. And when growing up in Witchita I was the military brat of a Staff Sgt. with five kids, so all my bikes were hand me downs. Not complaining, Just explaining. I gotta have pride in my ride so I'm not going to just slap this one together. My Pops (God rest his soul,) always said, Do it right or don't do it at all. Good advice I think.
Big Red.

Old topic, I know. But, here's my cranny....

Attachments

• 20171104_051439.jpg
    20171104_051439.jpg
    263 KB · Views: 100
  • 20171104_051522.jpg
    20171104_051522.jpg
    305.4 KB · Views: 111
I have to fix an electrical issue at the moment, but when I had it running, I like the way it sounds, didn't seem to do much for performance at the lower end. I just don't like how much oil collects in it. I'll probably go back to stock exhaust.

Last edited:
frontmount.jpg

Hate these u bolts to easy to crush the frame, should be a wide flat strap in place of the rod. These are muffler clamps designed to do just that crush one pipe into the other...........Curt

Back